feature wishlist from DWP students

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

feature wishlist from DWP students

Postby Sam Kriemelmeyer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:27 pm

here are some great decisions from the students this week!

-nesting layers like AE, for grouping layers and treating them together.

-routing outputs to layers, like share layer texture

-currently you can only use 3 lights per layer. shouldn't there be no limit to this?>

-layers show/hide used in sequence. each sequence shows the layers used in that sequence.

-share obj texture. like share layer texture but mesh based. this may not help with load on the the system, but would be a cool shortcut.

-remove fx from layer(s) selection. currently you can only remove fx from one layer at a time.

-unhide/hide multiple or single layers from multiple servers at once

-consistent group selection. the groups tab and groups folder react differently.

-recorder groups, views, presets like layer order

-keyframes should stick to container bounds, not get lost in limbo before or after container

-share layer texture via dmx patching. other media servers that support routing offer this feature.
Sam Kriemelmeyer
Theatrical Concepts
samk@theatrical.com
Sam Kriemelmeyer

Re: feature wishlist from DWP students

Postby Sam Kriemelmeyer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:27 pm

would be great to hear responses on each request. thanks guys!
Sam Kriemelmeyer
Theatrical Concepts
samk@theatrical.com
Sam Kriemelmeyer

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:07 pm

samtrak wrote:-nesting layers like AE, for grouping layers and treating them together.

You can edit multiple layers at a time with active values. Otherwise you can use the layer history.

samtrak wrote:-routing outputs to layers, like share layer texture

As we are not based on submixes but on rendering the composition to the output, this would create an infinite loop, as you would see the output in itself. Nevertheless I will add it to the list.

samtrak wrote:-currently you can only use 3 lights per layer. shouldn't there be no limit to this?>

It makes a differences if you render 3 lights after another or if these are processed at the same time, so you need to have the appropriate effect. At the moment these are limited to 3.

samtrak wrote:-layers show/hide used in sequence. each sequence shows the layers used in that sequence.

Already on the list.

samtrak wrote:-share obj texture. like share layer texture but mesh based. this may not help with load on the the system, but would be a cool shortcut.

As you said yourself, it will not save any performance, but could be a programming shortcut, yes.

samtrak wrote:-remove fx from layer(s) selection. currently you can only remove fx from one layer at a time.

Indeed, that would help.

samtrak wrote:-unhide/hide multiple or single layers from multiple servers at once

Good idea and as far as I know, already on the list.

samtrak wrote:-consistent group selection. the groups tab and groups folder react differently.

This is a known issue at the moment.

samtrak wrote:-recorder groups, views, presets like layer order

If you mean rEOrder (not recorder - this confused me for a second *g*), this would be helpful as well.

samtrak wrote:-keyframes should stick to container bounds, not get lost in limbo before or after container

I'm not sure what you mean. By shortening the length of a container, a new keyframe is processed at the end of it. The only exception is, if you manually move a keyframe to a timecode where the container does not exist, by typing in a timecode.

samtrak wrote:-share layer texture via dmx patching. other media servers that support routing offer this feature.

We decided for this feature as well as for the particle system, that there will be some limits in programming Pandoras Box via a lighting desk. Not all features do make sense or are easily programmable by external controls.
Share layer texture would need a static Folder- and File-ID including the reference which layer shall be taken. As we can have more than 256 layers (and these projects do exist) we would need to have an ID-Range with more than 8bit.

Thanks for the feedback, I will add the missing thoughts to the list.
Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby Sam Kriemelmeyer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Markus Zeppenfeld wrote:
samtrak wrote:-nesting layers like AE, for grouping layers and treating them together.

You can edit multiple layers at a time with active values. Otherwise you can use the layer history.

Ben is going to chime in... but imagine planetary orbits around other orbits. This is just one example of being able to treat multiple layers as 1.

As we are not based on submixes but on rendering the composition to the output, this would create an infinite loop, as you would see the output in itself. Nevertheless I will add it to the list.

Not with that NEW feature Jan emailed us about last night. *wink wink* i can remind you of it if you dont know what im talking about.

samtrak wrote:-currently you can only use 3 lights per layer. shouldn't there be no limit to this?>

It makes a differences if you render 3 lights after another or if these are processed at the same time, so you need to have the appropriate effect. At the moment these are limited to 3.

im very sad that it is limited to 3.

samtrak wrote:-layers show/hide used in sequence. each sequence shows the layers used in that sequence.

Already on the list.

GREAT!

samtrak wrote:-share obj texture. like share layer texture but mesh based. this may not help with load on the the system, but would be a cool shortcut.

As you said yourself, it will not save any performance, but could be a programming shortcut, yes.

samtrak wrote:-remove fx from layer(s) selection. currently you can only remove fx from one layer at a time.

Indeed, that would help.

samtrak wrote:-unhide/hide multiple or single layers from multiple servers at once

samtrak wrote:-consistent group selection. the groups tab and groups folder react differently.

If you mean rEOrder (not recorder - this confused me for a second *g*), this would be helpful as well.

yes i meant reorder. sorry. this type of GUI consistency would be very useful!

samtrak wrote:-keyframes should stick to container bounds, not get lost in limbo before or after container

I'm not sure what you mean. By shortening the length of a container, a new keyframe is processed at the end of it. The only exception is, if you manually move a keyframe to a timecode where the container does not exist, by typing in a timecode.

not true. trim right or trim left of a container causes this, so does the shortcut SHIFT+arrow which allows you to manually move keyframes 1 frame at a time. ive found it very easy to get a keyframe lost in limo before or after the container.

samtrak wrote:-share layer texture via dmx patching. other media servers that support routing offer this feature.

We decided for this feature as well as for the particle system, that there will be some limits in programming Pandoras Box via a lighting desk. Not all features do make sense or are easily programmable by external controls.
Share layer texture would need a static Folder- and File-ID including the reference which layer shall be taken. As we can have more than 256 layers (and these projects do exist) we would need to have an ID-Range with more than 8bit.

256 is better than 0.
layer routing access via dmx would be a huge feature!

Markus
Sam Kriemelmeyer
Theatrical Concepts
samk@theatrical.com
Sam Kriemelmeyer

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 am

samtrak wrote:
Markus Zeppenfeld wrote:

Ben is going to chime in... but imagine planetary orbits around other orbits. This is just one example of being able to treat multiple layers as 1.

You are right. This would would increase the possibilities.

Not with that NEW feature Jan emailed us about last night. *wink wink* i can remind you of it if you dont know what im talking about.

You could as well use one output as a composition for the other one without having the feedback. I assume you do not need the output, but the camera picture to be shared.

im very sad that it is limited to 3.

I think we can easily advance it to more than three, but I do not know if it will be unlimited, as this would need unlimited numbers of effects or a complete redesign of the effect.

Already on the list.

GREAT!

Indeed, that would help.

yes i meant reorder. sorry. this type of GUI consistency would be very useful!

not true. trim right or trim left of a container causes this, so does the shortcut SHIFT+arrow which allows you to manually move keyframes 1 frame at a time. ive found it very easy to get a keyframe lost in limo before or after the container.

Got you...

256 is better than 0.
layer routing access via dmx would be a huge feature!

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld

Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby asherrobinson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:20 pm

On the topic of reordering things, If there is a way to reorder Sites in the Device Tree, I have yet to figure it out...Just for display purposes to put things in a logical order.

-A
asherrobinson

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi!

Reordering sites is high on the list and will definitely come in soon.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld

Markus Zeppenfeld

Return to Feature Wishlist V5