Particle Generation from 3D Object UV data?

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Particle Generation from 3D Object UV data?

Postby Tynamics » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Hello sirs,

As a visual effects artist I am learning about how to blend my Maya/3dsMax/etc into PB. I would like to request the ability to generate PB particles from UV data on a 3d object.

The basic objects in the Pandora content would be a great start. I assume you'd have to use UV data to get a "corner" of a cube generating particles, for example, but the beauty would be that the particles stay with the generating object no matter where that objects goes. If a programmer animates a 3D objects location then the particle system should just come along for the ride correct? Nothing else would have to be rewritten aside from the generation point?? This would make for great effects on the fly.

Ty
Tynamics

Re: Particle Generation from 3D Object UV data?

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:20 am

Hi Ty,

the particle engine is handled completely separate from the layer parameters on which it is assigned.
That means, if you attach a system to a layer you can move around the layer in one direction, the emitter into the other.

If you want to stick the emitter always to the corner of a cube as you mentioned, you have to make sure, that both movements (cube and emitter) are having the same keyframes and therefore the same (offset-)position in space. If you are programming that on a timeline, make sure to have these movements done in the correct way. Within a Widget environment you may want to hook up tracking data to the layer and to the emitter at the same time.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Re: Particle Generation from 3D Object UV data?

Postby florian » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:40 pm

This is an interesting concept, but wouldn't you want to bind the relative positions to the vertex coordinates of the object rather than the UV coordinates?

Since the object properties hierarchy in PB (and I believe all GPU based rendering systems) is object->vertex->UV, you would want to create a transform relationship that has the particles use a given vertex on an object as it's geometric origin point. This is the way that "Hair modeling" works in modeling suites I've worked with.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to Feature Wishlist V5