Aeon-FX bound to container

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Aeon-FX bound to container

Postby merCUrium » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:03 pm

If you make extensive use of the fx-engine you can end up easy with layers containing e.g. 3 coler-only, 2 levels, 2 color replace fx etc. caused, and can't delete any of them because you don't remmber in which containers you used which one.
And sometimes the FX do things to the layer even if their mix is 0.

So it would be very usefull and imo more consitent to the rest of the programming-workflow to have FX only inside of the specific container i draw it on.
merCUrium

Re: Aeon-FX bound to container

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 am

Hi,

we have discussed this and it for sure has benefits, but it also has problems as soon as you start using active values and programming a non Timeline Show.

Regarding Mix = 0:
please let us know which FX are effecting a layer if the mix is at 0.
We are trying to make sure that with Mix = 0 the layer stays unaffected.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby merCUrium » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

In Rev 7325 eg. the Gaussian Blur affects a layer even if its mix 0, especially when fluidframe is turned on.
Other FX I have to check, but should be some combination of color-FX which messed it up.

Maybe some "Toggle FX Mode" could solve this, similiar to the "Toggle Key Mode".
In the one case its like now, and effects live on the whole layer. In the other state the Effects are only cached in the container they are thrown in and get released from the memory at the end of the container.
I could imagine that this could be a bit of a performance safer in cases of very extensive fx-usage (don't know where this "very extensive" starts but I had once to blend 4 Layers whith 15+ FX each).
merCUrium

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:01 pm

please check again in Version 5.3 7832 - Gaussian Blur has been fixed (should be)
Currently we are not aware of any other FX Combination that would not work correctly. If you find one please let us know so that we can fix it. Mix = 0 means that the FX should not alter the image in any way. If it does it is a bug.

The amount of FX on a layer do not matter to the render engine, only the used FX matter.
Some FX are very resource hungry like render history or any kind of Blur FX, others need nearly no resources at all (most of the Color FX).

Regarding changing the FX to be part of the container instead of the layer:
I think it is still on the feature which list, but I am pretty sure that it will not change in any of the next releases, mainly because booth versions have been discussed and it has been decided that this version is the way to go for the moment.
This does not mean that it will stay like this forever, and sometimes things change faster than expected.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby JustynR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Could you not use Effects Collection?

You can save those values from the Drop - Down Menu and save those per - container.

I've done that once... I have 1 FX Collection and 3 Colour Effects on a Layer for a work around for that.

J
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby merCUrium » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am

Daniel Kaminski wrote:The amount of FX on a layer do not matter to the render engine, only the used FX matter.

Your tutorial video to AeonFX says otherwise, btw. Saw it, when a trainee whatched the tuts recently. Except the video would be out of date regarding this part since this has changed in one of the later Revs.

I'll have a look on the Effects Collection and check if it fits my needs, thx Justyn.
merCUrium

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi!

The tutorial has been created at the first version of Pandoras Box V5. It has been changed in one of the following Revisions.
Mix = 0 means only extra performance for showing the faders on the screen. :-)

Thanks for pointing that out.
Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Return to Feature Wishlist V5