Polor Coordinate Effect

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Polor Coordinate Effect

Postby cyeary » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:52 am

I would like to make a request for a Polor Coordinate Effect that works much like the one in After Efx. This would allow us to take content that is linear in fashion and convert it into a cool tunnel vortex look.

Thank you.
Cameron Yeary
Unlimited Visibility, Inc.
cyeary

Re: Polor Coordinate Effect

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi,

what about using an object? I think there might be a suitable one in the File Sharing forums. (like this one? viewtopic.php?f=90&t=656 )

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby cyeary » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm

That would work for single use but if you watch this quick little tutorial on some of the tricks you can pull off with the After efx version you can see that you easily get some nice stuff with very basic content. http://vimeo.com/102477110
Cameron Yeary
cyeary

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:34 am

Hey,

a Rect To Polar coordinate effect does exactly the same (assuming you turn the "interpolation" up to 100%). After that you can use UV Scroll and other stuff to move and animate along this object.

Have a look at the attached project and tell me what features you are missing out.

Regards
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby florian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Cameron,

Your post made me think about this a bit.

While I think a mesh would totally solve a lot of these, it seemed like it should be pretty straightforward.

Anyways, a couple hours and a bunch of internet math research later, here's this. It's not perfect. For extra flexibility, I highly recommend putting a UV Transform effect before it in the chain.

polarCoordinates.ccfx.zip

(edit: added alpha channel support)

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby florian » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 am

tunnel1.zip

Here's a quick an dirty go at reproducing the look of the AE thing. Instead of drawing the background texture like in the video, this project uses the mandlebrot generator and a "pixel" pattern effect to "randomly" generate the background. Fun times!
-flo

florian

Postby florian » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:54 pm

polarCoordinates.ccfx.zip

Ok, last post on this, I promise.

This version resolves the 90 degree rotation. It also adds the ability to do polar to cartesian conversions. This could be used, for example, to unwrap dome masters. The shader is written so that areas outside the bounds of the texture co-ordinate space are set to Alpha=0. This way there are no stretched pixels at the edges (visible).

I was tempted to crop the polar->rect unwrap in half (ala Photoshop) but decided that people could just do that themselves with an edge crop effect downstream.

You switch between the two modes using the "operation" slider. The steps in-between look neat, but are probably pretty useless from a practical standpoint.

Also, since Jan Hanten bothered to tell me about the documentation field, I figured I should use it. :)

Again, using the UV Remap effect in front of this is kind of handy.

Enjoy!
-flo

florian

Postby cyeary » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:43 pm

If you continue this kind of work Florian I am going to start asking for a lot more effects!!!!
Cameron Yeary
cyeary

Return to Feature Wishlist V5