Fade in/fade out modifier

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Fade in/fade out modifier

Postby simonj » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:24 am

Currently, the settings within Configuration>Sequence>Key Initial Values are only applied to new clips that you drop onto your timeline.

It would be great if you could add a modifier key that would allow you to right click on a clip on your timeline, and quickly apply these Key Initial Values to this clip, rather than manually adding opacity keyframe, copy and pasting or using presets.

Another nice addition would be to modify existing fade in/out values of a clip on your timeline with a single click
simonj

Re: Fade in/fade out modifier

Postby malkuth23 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby simonj » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks for the info

I do use presets but I was hoping for a dialog box that would quickly allow me to add or change fade in/out by right clicking on a clip.

The downside with approaching this through presets is that, ahead of time I would have to create multiple fade in, fade out, fade in & out presets with various duration's so I can apply them later. With a modifier button I could just click on a timeline clip and choose a fade type and duration. My background is in video editing so I guess I have been a bit spoiled with this feature on edit systems.

It would also be great to be able to multi select a number clips on your timeline, and apply fades to these selected clips in one hit via the key initial values box in Configuration>Sequence.

Just a thought :0)
simonj

Postby florian » Mon May 04, 2015 4:42 pm

One of the basic rules of UI design is that you want to use context menus as a last resort.

I totally understand the desire for a default palette of fading choices, but I feel like rather than resolving this with a freestanding dialog option, I would rather see it implemented as a default set of presets.

In the end I still hope that we will be able to set up user profiles that you can use to quickly transfer your own built selection of presets and views. Moving towards that, I think that a default set of presets that are in the base project would be a more graceful intermediate step than adding a context menu option.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to Feature Wishlist V5