direct access to the command line

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

direct access to the command line

Postby florian » Thu May 07, 2015 4:23 am

Hello,

I am about to go work on a Theater project in San Diego that uses the Manager and Widget Designer as the main Video programming and control interface.

Usually, one of my favourite pieces of gear to bring on these shows is the playback extension, because I can use the STORE GOTO CUE VIEW and GROUP functions to speed up my workflow and not muck around with the mouse as much. But on this show, the staging company can't provision a KVM or USB extender system that plays nice with the Coolux USB control surface peripherals (Jog Shuttle, Extension, etc.). So I am basically stuck with just a mouse and Keyboard.

I know that access to the Command Keys is available via PB_Automation.dll, and am considering writing a program that lets me simulate whatever I can't do with the Widget.

This made me wonder if a "Command Line" tab could be added to the Manager. Ideally it would let you execute the Control Surface commands, but I suppose it would also me cool to be able to create little scripts of those and run them. I don't know how sophisticated the command interpreter is, but it would be great if it was easier to access.

Thanks!
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Re: direct access to the command line

Postby aquapixs » Tue May 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi,

I do love this idea very much. I would love to see a piece of hardware wich is similar to the keypad on the old playback extension.
Not beeing anle to put commands in like "go to cue" is a pain. Especially when you know that the command line is there from the old keys.

Currently I'm trying to rebuild that logic with WD but it does not work out very well and since there is no way to scale the Cue Control this will not work either. Tried it on a surface but it is very very small......

So Florian, if you make progress here please let me know :-)

best wishes

Patrick
Patrick Verhey
Director Creative Media

Email: patrick@pixlevolution.com
aquapixs

Re: direct access to the command line

Postby florian » Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi Patrick!

Exactly!

I think that as a stopgap it would also just be handy to have sort of a terminal tab in the manager. Basically I want it to behave like the console on the MA.

I don't know if the current plan is to totally supplant the internal command line with a WidgetScript interpreter.

Maybe having a Command Line on the Widget would be sufficient.

Then at least you could type directives into a prompt rather than having to build Macros or Custom Script buttons to execute simple instructions.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to Feature Wishlist V5