Graydients (rant)

Suggestions and comments for Pandoras Box V5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Graydients (rant)

Postby florian » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:15 pm

Less GRAYdients please. There are too many GRAYdients in the UIs. On the nodes, in the backgrounds, on the menus, on every button... Please make the Graydients stop.

With the recent redesign of the desktop menu, I noticed that coolux decided to populate the backdrop with yet another GRAYdient.

I'm not overly fond to the changes in the way the new system menu behaves, but I guess I'm somehow even more dismayed with the proliferation of gray ramps running yon and hither on my screen while I'm trying to focus on lots of tiny little bits of text everywhere. The UI would be a lot easier on the eyes if there wasn't additional bits of visual stimuli sprinkled around like pixie dust.

Here's an interesting article I found looking into this:
http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/31126/what-makes-gradients-in-graphic-design-look-attractive-and-whats-the-best-way-t

As I type this, I recognize that the website background also has a Graydient. I get that maybe this is part of the coolux brand identity, and is therefore subject to being playfully inserted into various places... but it's gone off the rails.

Maybe in the spirit of the 'dark mode' skin in Pandora (which was once an option and is now a default), we could have a 'Flat' skin that does away with the GRAYdient motif.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Re: Graydients (rant)

Postby Dave Thompson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:41 am

Hey.

Ok,
I love the gray.
I find the UI just right for dealing with content very quickly and when I need to find specific things in a hurry.
I don't want a pretty UI. I want something that works reliably and won't let me down.

Dave
"Chairman Wow!"
Dave Thompson
coolux Germany

Re: Graydients (rant)

Postby florian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I don't want a 'pretty' UI either. I want a less 'pretty' UI that isn't covered in gradients. I don't care if it's grey so long as it picks a value and sticks with it instead of interpolating it from one end of the screen to the other.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to Feature Wishlist V5