Matrix Patcher + different LED Screen Pixel Pitches

Everything related to the coolux Tools

Moderator: Moderator Group

Matrix Patcher + different LED Screen Pixel Pitches

Postby nilo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 am

Hi Guys,

with the search I couldn't find any similar issue as the one I'm having now.

Following Situation:
I will have one large physical Screen, all modules are mechanically compatible but they will have a wide variety of Pixel Pitches. Starting with 6mm and ending up with 2,6mm. My Goal ist to have one complete Video on the whole Screen. The Output Video for my LED Processors (Patch- with native resolutions) I can position without any problem in one Full HD Patch (1920x1080). For the whole Screen calculated on P2,6mm I will Need at least 2880x1152 px. I would like to stick to a Standard VESA Resolution as it makes life much easier with previewing and monitoring the LED Processors. Content Format is 2880x1152 px or higher.

What I observed and tested already:
1. If I'm Setting the patch size to 1920x1080 and Position Videotiles outside of the Frame, they will Display in the Output something different then the Content
2. Shrinking the 2,6mm Tiles in the Map to 66%, will result in Blurry upscaled Video Output.
3. Creating a 4K Patch 3840x2160 Px, having multiplied all Video tiles by factor 4 in the Patch, and have the Output played back on a Full HD Output. This solution is not to Handy, as the LED Processors Need to be configured by Pixel Input.

Is there any other solution or Workaround which will do the Job easier or in a more convenient way?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Nils
nilo

Re: Matrix Patcher + different LED Screen Pixel Pitches

Postby ^nto » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi, I know that is a late answer but i would to know if you made this and how you made it.

I suppose that can solve this setup by scaling from 4K output resolution directly from the led processor, using 2880x1152px output format on processor and then using 2880x1152 patch format in matrix patcher.
3 x Pandoras Box v8
PB WD Pro
^nto

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Hello,

You should always make the patch the same size as the Pandoras Box output. On very complex setups you can use the warper with live warp to pick the correct contents. For that you basically patch all the tiles with 100% scaling and then assign the content using the warp.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby ^nto » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 pm

interesting observation!

I'm sure that using the PB output format in the patch format.... will save lot of time and work will be easier!
3 x Pandoras Box v8
PB WD Pro
^nto

Return to Tools (Matrix, Splitter, Image Converter, PB Menu)