Dome

Warper & Mapping related questions

Moderator: Moderator Group

Dome

Postby sergiocordova » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi good afternoon needed to know the resolution of the dome I know you are but examples of 2x1 would be 1024x512 thanks
sergiocordova

Re: Dome

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Sergio,

I don't really understand what you are asking... Sorry.

Maybe this helps nevertheless:
Having a hemisphere, you will need to have content in 4:1.
This can be reached by using the dome converter and recalculating a dome master file to this resolution.

If you need more or other information, please try to explain what you want to know.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby sergiocordova » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi! sorry for my bad english! I just want to know the resolution of each crop and how is the position of them when working with 5 projectors. I'm working in a dome and the projectors for each side is working correctly, but when i put the crop of upside, this don't fix correctly. I see in this forum that the crops must be side by side and the crop of roof must be upside and blend all the other crops. But this doesnt work for me. The other question is that im working with 3d content, and when im converting from polar to rect, this content stay like lines, and i doesnt know how the crops fit into it. Any help will be apreciated! Thanks .
sergiocordova

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 am

When you say crop do you mean softedge? Is the softedge working for the left and right for the projectors around the rim? Are you just having trouble with the cap or with all the blends?

-Matt
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby sorcerfeng1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 am

Hi

I'm intending to make a fulldome projection too, so I may have the same type question, but different details.
1.Fulldome Processing (Slicing)
I know first of all I need to divide the domemaster(3600x3600) into seven sections(7 projectors,4:3), but how ( both the rim and the cap) ? and the domemaster is a circle and four corners of the domemaster are black, do black areas are included in divided video files or not ?

2.The attachment is my CAD design (png) for fulldome projection

Best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sorcerfeng1

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:18 am

Hi,

please also take a look at this Forum entry:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=621&p=1878&hilit=dome#p1878

You will need to convert your domemaster into a 2:1 map (3600x1800). You can do this using the PB Dommaster Convertet. There are also several other tools available, google will help.
The 2:1 map will now be used as Content for the 6 projectos. The dommaster as content for the pole.
So if you want to slice the content for the 6 projectors you need to slice it into 6 pieces.

Please be aware that converting a domemaster into a 2:1 map will take a long time! An produce huge amount of data.
A 20 min movie will be around 750 GB of Data. This not only takes a long time to copy but also a long time to process.
Converting a 10 minute 4000x2000 Pixel image sequenze into a uncompresses AVI takes several hours!

Anotherthing that will be very helpfull is creating a testpattern that clearly shows your overlap areas and helps you warp.

If you do not need to blend videos, you can Play the content as 4k Content on all PB Servers.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby sorcerfeng1 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:36 am

Hi

Thank you for your answer, it helps a lot

For deeper understand, there are several things I need to figure out.
1. Acturally the purpose we convert the dome master to a 2:1 map is to get an equirectangular panoramic image in 2:1 ratio ?
2. If the amount of proejctor is N+1(5+1or 6+1), we just need to divide images with overlap area according to the viewtopic "Dome projection with single north pole projector". For the rim contents we only need to store them after divding them, but for the cap, 5, it still needs to be converted into a circle image ?
3. The last thing I'm wondering is how to slice the top north pole with 2 projectors in a N+2 projectors case ?

Thanks

Best regards
sorcerfeng1

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 am

Consider using 2 copies of the video. One as a polar mapped by converting in Dome Master. The other would be the original planer mapped content. Use the planer mapped content on the cap and the polar around the sides. This will allow you to have complicated content on the cap (something that polar mapping has difficulty with) and make it easier to map the cap with 2 projectors. The sides will be easier in polar.

Make a really good test pattern. Use distinctive colors or shapes for every few degrees of the dome so that you can match it up anywhere. This is really important. It is hard to tell which way is north on a plain grid projected on a dome. Convert the test pattern with Dome Master. Now you can match the polar and planer mapping up by using the same test pattern in both sections.

This is a picture of a dome mapped w/ both planer and polar. Then I placed an identical grid in all sections. You can clearly see where the planer and where the polar mapping is. Softedge is on, so it is hard to tell, but this is 8 projectors around the edge and 3 converged in the center.

IMG_1824.jpg

Picture with my (admittedly ugly) custom test pattern. I would make it even more detailed next time.

IMG_1845.jpg

This was done entirely in Pandoras Box programs. Splitter, Dome Master, Warper, and Server.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Thank you Matt for the pictures and the good explanation.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby sorcerfeng1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:50 am

Dear all

Thank you for what all you answered.

It's still little bit confused to me, I mean how to slice the content for the cap of the dome,if we use two projectors throw the image onto the cap of the dome.
In one projector for the cap of the dome case, the content is a cirlce like this http://forum.coolux.de/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=621&p=1878&hilit=dome#p1878
Do we slice the content of cap into 2 semicircles, including overlap area or sth else in two projectors for the cap of dome ?

Thank you, Matt for posting very good pictures, but it's really hard to tell 3 proejctors converging in the top of the dome. Sorry
Sorry for my bad english, I hope my expression is clear.

Thanks

Best regards
sorcerfeng1

Postby Patrick Verhey » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am

Hi,

depending on the projector position you can use two half circles and get the softedge running thru the whole dome. Thats probably the easiest way. The only problem doing that is the fact of loosing a lot of resolution as you will have a big overlapping area depending on the physics of the dome. If you want to achieve 25% overlap in the pole, the overlap on the sides will go up, so you need to cut out a lot of pixels here.

But basically this will be the only way if you use only 2 projectors.

best regards

Patrick

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Or use a wider lens and just converge. Your resolution drops, but if it is a large dome this is the point that is furthest from the audience.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby vjalguem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 pm

malkuth23 congratulations for your dome... realy good job...
vjalguem

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks!

It came out well. DomeMaster opened up a lot of options to map domes in much better (and easier) ways.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby sergiocordova » Thu May 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Hello, good afternoon I could make a very nice dome Through his horientaciones on master dome and spliter using 5 projectors com dejnado a wide angle lens all in five crop. Now nececito your help in another setup going with the same projectors only now will work with digital capture then the content will come out of a single image spread by a 8x8 dvi need to know whether the vercion V pandora's box. I have some polar effect Porer CONVERTION for use in litters 1,2,3,4 and 5 leave without distortion. Hope you can understand my bad English. =)
thanks
sergiocordova

Return to Warping