How to rotate mesh on Z axis in Warper 2D

Warper & Mapping related questions

Moderator: Moderator Group

How to rotate mesh on Z axis in Warper 2D

Postby yrokhlin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:23 am

Hey,

So I am mapping a hemispherical dome, and I modeled the cap of my dome in Blender, and exported as .3DS.. Now everything works fine, right up until I export from Warper 3D in to my Warper2D to align it to the rest of my perimeter. The problem is, Warper2D only lets me rotate my mesh on the X and Y axis, which for a flat disc is essentially useless because it rotates the mesh up or down or left and right, but not clock wise and counter clock wise.

Why would you not include Z rotation in the Warper2D? XY rotation is nearly useless (not to mention I had to downgrade to Pbox 5.3 just to get rotation working with out a crash.)

Maybe I am missing something?? My non imported meshes can be rotated clockwise/counterclockwise just fine!

Now I have to route my Manager to the cap projector just to be able to map it, so frustrating!!! There has to be a proper work around, why not just include Z rotation in the warper 2D, does this one little feature really need to be crippled?
yrokhlin

Re: How to rotate mesh on Z axis in Warper 2D

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 am

Hey,

All this has to do with the way our product range is. Servers have the full 3D space, Players are limited to 2D.

yrokhlin wrote:The problem is, Warper2D only lets me rotate my mesh on the X and Y axis, which for a flat disc is essentially useless because it rotates the mesh up or down or left and right, but not clock wise and counter clock wise.
Why would you not include Z rotation in the Warper2D? XY rotation is nearly useless (not to mention I had to downgrade to Pbox 5.3 just to get rotation working with out a crash.)
The Warper 2D only lets you rotate around the Z axis. That is a 2D rotation on the X/Y surface. That is the big restriction be put on players. We are aware of the fact that the 5.5 warper has a couple of problems. My colleague Mike will contact you with the new warper version. If anyone else needs it, please contact supportATcooluxDOTde.

yrokhlin wrote:Maybe I am missing something?? My non imported meshes can be rotated clockwise/counterclockwise just fine!
Meshes with FFDs are completely different from 3D objects you have inported. They are handled in a different way internally, so problems with one must not affect the other.

yrokhlin wrote:Now I have to route my Manager to the cap projector just to be able to map it, so frustrating!!! There has to be a proper work around, why not just include Z rotation in the warper 2D, does this one little feature really need to be crippled?
The Warper 2D only includes the Z-Rotation because it is limited to 2D. What you are doing is the workaround. The proper solution to this problem is buying Servers instead of Players.

Best regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Return to Warping