Mesh outside screen bounds

Warper & Mapping related questions

Moderator: Moderator Group

Mesh outside screen bounds

Postby ppfer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi,
I'm starting to map some objects using the 2d warper but, as long as I adjust the mesh size and position I often end up with some ffds and portion of a mesh outside the screen bounds so it becomes difficult to deal with these points if I need to adjust them.
I use the keyboard to select and move those points but I do it without any visual feedback about what has been selected or not.
There's something wrong in my workflow or any advice to deal with this situation?
Thanks
ppfer

Re: Mesh outside screen bounds

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi,

I think that you already found the way to solve this. The keyboard can be used in such scenarios.

Isn't having the mesh outside of the screen boundaries a little odd? I can't see the use of such meshes. Can you provide an example?

Best regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby malkuth23 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Happens all the time. FFDs are often off screen, mesh as well.
It can be frustrating, but you just sort of have to keep things organized and keep track of which point is selected in your head. When I get mixed up I hit the arrow keys a few times until I on a corner and then count over from there.

Warper must be 1:1 on your screen so there is no really good way to "zoom" out. Although I suppose you could go into 3d mode and look around if you needed to and then reset back to default.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby ppfer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks both of you.
First of all, I'm sorry for the confusion but I meant the computer monitor not the projection screen.
In my first attempt the FFDS in the lower part end up outside the monitor. Using the keyboard works well though.

P1020295.jpg

I tried another way that seems to work better. I aligned the lower FFDs to the bottom of the surface to map, then I aligned the reference image by offsetting the texture and adjusted the other FFDs accordingly. So I keep everything inside the monitor bounds and the result seems to be quite good.

P1020296.JPG

P1020298.JPG

I guess that in some cases (for examples for some kinds of curved projection screens) FFDs outside the monitor bounds cannot be avoided (and they can be managed using the keyboard) but I think my solution is good in this case...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ppfer

Return to Warping