Material mapping in Gmax

Warper & Mapping related questions

Moderator: Moderator Group

Material mapping in Gmax

Postby rik uyttersprot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to make an object for the two cameras in pb.
When I create a plane, deform it and add an uvw map to it , the material follows the plane. so far so good.
Now I need multiple planes.
I create one after the other and deform them, then I convert one of them to editable mesh and attach the others to it.
now I have one object. But when i add the uvw map to it it doesn't follow the planes.
So in pb I can't get them together because the materials don't follow the deformation.

How can I establish the wright mapping of the materials?

best regards Rik,
rik uyttersprot

Re: Material mapping in Gmax

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:53 pm

I am nor sure if I understand correctly.
Just to conform. You are trying to make 1 Object for both outputs or 2 Objects 1 for each output?

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby rik uyttersprot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 pm

2 objects 1 for each output. but every object is created with multiple planes. and these planes are modifyd to fit to the actual setup.
rik uyttersprot

Postby lucken » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 pm

No the thing is:
- he has a construction with different parts
- he makes a sort of warping for each part
- then he wants to combine all these parts to one object

Lets sya for example
- 4 curved screens
- make the warping on each screen
- i can fill the 4 screens with one projector
- now he wants that the 4 created warps become one object, this way, when you add content onto it, that it forms one big image but correctly warped on the 4 screens

First result: the 4 seperate warps:
image1.jpg

After attaching the 4 screens he gets:
image2.jpg

So the 4 make now a cut out, but the material is not warped anymore, it does not follow the deformations that are created in the 4 seperate screens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lucken

Postby Julia Foest » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:28 am

Hi,

when you get a non warped picture on your four attached planes, could it be that you applied an UVW Map AFTER you already attached these planes?

What you have to do:
create the planes, apply an UVW Map, then apply a FFD for modifying or Edit Mesh.
If your mesh fits, then select one object, apply Edit Mesh, here click on attach, select the other planes and in the end click again on attach.
After you´ve done the attaching, do not apply a further UVW map, this would kill all you warping.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby lucken » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:42 am

Yes that is what is done, so no UVW mapping at the end. But then it are still 4 small images on the 4 screens. He wants one big image streched over the 4 screens.
lucken

Postby Julia Foest » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Ah, ok, I didn`t understand it before.
If you want to have one image warped over all screens, then you have to add the UVW Mapping BEFORE you do any warping.
So, just create again your four planes, select them all at the same time and add a UVW Mapping for this selection. Then you just take one plane after the other, apply ffd or edit mesh to warp it. And in the end again attach all planes and export the object.

Best regards,
Julia

And here is the evidence :D
plane.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julia Foest

Postby rik uyttersprot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Hello Julia,

everything works exept the import in pb after import i have this result.

there goes something wrong with the mapping. but don't know where
Naamloos.jpg

this has to be a testpattern from coolux.

the testpattern is on layer 12 and the object is on camera 1
rik uyttersprot

Postby rik uyttersprot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello Julia,

Is this the correct order of actions?

create the planes, select them all (in camera window), add uvw map, apply material (i have to click on VW in the material editor for correct view of image in camera view gmax), add on each plane individual an FFD2x2x2 of an FFD3x3x3, do the warping, select one plane right click: convert to editable mesh, attach, click on the others, go to hierarchie tab, put pivot point in pos 0,0,0; click on transform, go to utilitys tab, choose pandora's box, export selected, run pb exporter, save file, add it to pb project.

greetz Rik
rik uyttersprot

Postby Julia Foest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Rik,

I´m just not sure, if you really have to put the pivot point to 0,0,0 in your case. Just make sure before you start warping that it is in Z Pos in 0.
The problem you had after the export is caused because the axis are rotated in a different way in gmax than in pandoras box.
Before exporting the finished object via PB Exporter, please navigate to Hierarchy tab, and click on Reset: [Transform] under Adjust Transform. This rotates the axis inside Gmax to fit to Pandoras Box. I forgot to write this inside the tutorial at first but changed it now.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby rik uyttersprot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:02 pm

ok,

something else:
after the planes are made, you have to attach them. Do you select one plane, and convert to editable mesh?
after this add an uvw map and add a material.
then you need the separated planes again. how? click again on editable mesh in modify tab and do explode to objects?
then add warping by ffd
and now you have to attach them back. how? first i click on the plane where the uvw map is on, now click in modify tab on editable mesh to attach again but now is the warping gone on this plane.

I don't understand it

greetz rik
rik uyttersprot

Postby Julia Foest » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi Rick,
if you want ONE material over all planes, create your planes, select all without attaching them and add an uvw mapping. Then warp your planes one after another (eg by adding ffd to each plane and/or applying edit mesh modifier). After this select one plane, apply an edit mesh modifier. Click on attach. Now click on all other planes. After you did this, click on attach again to leave this function. Now export the object. That´s it.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby rik uyttersprot » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi Julia,

I have some problems with the uvw mapping. when i select all planes , add uvw map, add material is this the result.
november0001.JPG

( when i attach them add uvw map and add material i see the material correct)

The picture i've used is the colourbar testpattern from coolux.

greetz Rik
rik uyttersprot

Postby Julia Foest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:36 am

Hey Rick,

if your UVW mapping is not right after adding it, there is one thing that you have to do: to fit the UVW mapping to your scene. The orange line that you see on your scene is your uvw mapping.

uvw_falsch.jpg

You have to adjust it to the right axis: in the UVW modifier scroll down, click on "Y" and "Fit".

Y_fit.jpg

Now the UVW mapping should include all your planes.

uvw_richtig.jpg

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby rik uyttersprot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello Julia,

First: thanks a lot for all your help!

1 problem solved, lets take it to the next level :)
I can create a warp for one projector at a time , now i need to create one image with two beamer and warping:
Next picture shows the scene
IMG_7193.JPG

I have created for each beamer an object and the midle planes are adjusted to eachother as you can see:
IMG_7195.JPG

So I create the objects with the exporter and get them on the cameras in PB. but I can't get them wright.
IMG_7194.JPG

when this is fixed i want to make objects for the layers so I can get diferent content on the front frame or one image on the 3 upper sccreens or 6 identical images on the screens...
(level 3 :wink: )

greetz Rik
rik uyttersprot

Next

Return to Warping