Masking With Warper

Christie Pandoras Box Version 6 - Q&A

Moderator: Moderator Group

Forum rules
When asking make sure to include the operating system and the revision of Pandoras Box you are using. If your question is related to hardware, please state if you are using coolux hardware (which one) or if you built your own.

Masking With Warper

Postby brun sweater » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello.

Probably a stupid question, but I can't get my head around it :-)

I'm trying to create masks using the Warper, but I might be missing something very simple?

I'm trying to create a mask which covers everything around my planar x.file? After warping the object, I go to the Mask tab and invert the mask. Now I have a nice white area, where my warped object is, in black surroundings. But when I use the option Save Mask I end up with a completely transparent png file, instead of a png where only the white area is transparent. As I understand the manual, only the white area should be transparent?

If I use the option Save as screenshot, I get a white area, with transparent surroundings. I want kind of the opposite but with black surroundings?

What am I missing?

Cheers
brun sweater

Re: Masking With Warper

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Hello,

The "Mask" Tab in the warper can be used to mask out parts *within* the warped areas.

If you simply want your warped area to be visible (and the rest hidden) then you can try the Planar Mappings (I think in Edit->Apply Planar Map ...) with various options. I'm guessing that you may want to use "Apply Planar map to bounds". Then you can use the .x file without any mask.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby brun sweater » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi Dennis.

Thanks for answering and sorry for late reply :-)

My "problem" is that the content creators I often get thrown at me, are not very technical minded. More often than not I end up manipulating the content in size, because when the content creators or the scenographers find out, how fast I can do this with Pandoras Box, they get creative :-) And when working with several projection surfaces, which often can move around, applying an .x file to the output doesn't cut it.

What I ended up doing was exporting a screenshot from the Warper, and edited the screenshot in Photoshop, with black around the an alpha shape that matched the projection surface. An operation that takes less than 30 seconds. So not really a big problem :-)

Cheers
brun sweater

Postby Thomas Mrozek » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:12 am

Hi,
Pandoras Box V6 offers the possibility to create canvas. You can 'paint' on canvas in the master preview to create masks directly live on the output.
Maybe this is a solution for you?
cheers
Thomas
Thomas Mrozek
Product Manager
Thomas Mrozek

Return to Pandoras Box V6