Licensing and using software player

Christie Pandoras Box Version 6 - Q&A

Moderator: Moderator Group

Forum rules
When asking make sure to include the operating system and the revision of Pandoras Box you are using. If your question is related to hardware, please state if you are using coolux hardware (which one) or if you built your own.

Licensing and using software player

Postby markdamber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm

I have a few beginner questions:

Looking to use software player coming up for a project. Just trying to get some things straight. I see that the software player is multi licensed and I understand how that works in terms of multiplying, but my main question is with number of outputs. If I get one license, does that allow me to run the GUI and ONE 4K output spanned across a mosaic? My LED wall is only 1920x1200 in max so if I use a mosaic this will work but I’m worried things won’t work because it is technically using two outputs out of the physical card.

Another question that has been touched on in the “GUI and 4 outputs” thread on this forum is the concept of running the system standalone. First off, if I get the software player license, does that grant me a license to run the “controller” software on a remote machine on the network or does that machine need a license too? (And if so, is that for Manager Or another player). It has been mentioned that I will run into issues if I run a mosaic (say, of two screens) and then a GUI on the display that is not the mosaic. And that running the software as a master on an other PC would be better. Well, if that is the case, could I buy two licenses to pandora software player and have one be a master with no output and have one be a client with 1 mosaic output over 2 DisplayPort, and work?- and let me run 2 outputs in the future if I bought a manager license or simply two unrelated pandora machines?

Is windows 8.1 still the one to run?

Thanks!
markdamber

Re: Licensing and using software player

Postby Christian Hinxlage » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Mark,

if you have a Software player, you can use it in standalone mode. Then you can use the GUI on one screen and the fullscreen on your LED wall. Using two outputs in mosaic as one fullscreen works as well.
In standalone mode you can either have one output in fullscreen or all. If you're using more than one output in fullscreen you won't be able to use the Gui anymore while in fullscreen.

Further you can use one of your player dongle on another machine as "Master". But using a real manager license gives you for example the advantage of using multiple timelines.
In the end it depends on whats most suitable for you and your setup. If you're fine with one machine that does GUI and fullscreen, OK. If you want to control the fullscreen on your LED wall from any other place thats reachable throughthe network, I would recommend using a master/client system.

At the latest when you're using more than one machine for fullscreen, you will need a manager.

if you register at Christie University ( http://training.christiedigital.com ) and search for "pandoras box pre" you will find a pre inclass elearning video that shows different setup scenarios beside a lot of other useful information.

Hope that helps,

Christian
Christian Hinxlage
Technical Support Manager

Christie Digital Systems Canada Inc.
www.christiedigital.com
Christian Hinxlage
Site Admin

Postby markdamber » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:27 pm

And as for windows version, which is recommended? I have windows enterprise licensing set aside for this so I can use 8.1 if needed. What about windows 10 LTSB 2016 or LTSC 2019?
markdamber

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:39 am

If you can use Windows 8.1 Pro.
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Return to Pandoras Box V6