Rotation Wrap

Christie Widget Designer Version 6 - Q&A

Moderator: Moderator Group

Forum rules
When asking make sure to include the operating system and the revision of Widget Designer you are using.

Rotation Wrap

Postby chrisr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 pm

All, I am working on a project where I need to move a Device over a circular LED wall screen that is about 355 degrees. (it has a gap in the back to enter. its about 10 degree The device will be a video, and needs to track automation. My question is. I found a Rotation wrap Node. In the new Version 6. But can not find any documentation on this. I was curious if anyone has some insight on this node.

This shows automation has 3000 units of resolution for the 360 degree rotation. The tricky thing is, I need it to leave one edge of the pixel space and essentially restart at pixel zero again. and do it all over.

I was thinking of some if statements that would watch each Device layer, and when it reaches end, would dissolve off screen and be placed at the zero pixel start, and restart again.

Thanks in advance for any insight you all can give! I do appreciate it.

Have a great week.

Chris
Thank You

ChrisR
SurfacePro3 - 2GHz i5 - 4GB ram - Windows 10 Pro - WD Pro 4.7 Rev2500 and WD v6
Sager Laptop - Intel 2.4GHz i7 3630QM - 16GB ram - Windows 7 Pro Svc Pack1 - Offline Manager v6
chrisr

Re: Rotation Wrap

Postby justyn roy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:06 am

Would Range Nodes work better for you for this?

For any encoders I've used in the past I've always used a Range Node - this way you can set 0 = 0 and 3000 = 340 or what ever the rotation ends up being with that gap.

The output of the Range node will give you the numbers you need for inside of PB.

Regards,

Justyn Roy
Justyn Roy

Online Manual
justyn roy

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Hello,

maybe a circular warp file could also help there. If you use the UV scroll effects you can scroll the content along this circle (if you want it to loop around and follow the circle)

If you have a layer that needs to be rotated you can also use the Range node as Justyn suggested. If you have trouble with the layer "fade-moving" back to the 0 position you can use the "No Damping" in the control node and instead do the damping in the widget designer.

Let us know how it went :)

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby chrisr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks guys. So yes, Justyn I had the range nodes in place. So imagine a train. each device layer is going to follow the one in front of it. when one device slides off the end of the screen it gets reset. The next device behind it is now moving along to the end as well, when the next device reaches the end of the pixel space, it gets reset and so on. So this will need an offset. but still count up to 3000. How can I write an offset that continues the count. right now, when the encoder hits zero, all my devices reset. What I would like, is Device 2,1 resets, Device 2,2 continues until its run the full screen width, 2,3 follows that etc etc. like a train. each car follows the one in front. I have a feeling this might be solved with Relative Range node. or something like that. But can not get these to play nice.

Thanks for the quick replies!!
Thank You

ChrisR
Sager Laptop - Intel 2.4GHz i7 3630QM - 16GB ram - Windows 7 Pro Svc Pack1 - Offline Manager v6
chrisr

Postby malkuth23 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:35 am

I am not totally following what you are doing because it is late and I am sleepy... But it sounds like you want to play with the Modulo node.

Good luck and sorry if this was unhelpful.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby chrisr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Matt, Yes :) hope you got some sleep... this is how I solved to have device layers jump to the start after they have traveled off the display edge. It was the Math.Mod function that solved it. Also I added the Math.Max to keep from getting negative integers during a start up.

Justyn and Dennis, thanks for the help. I just found out, that they are players on the show, not full blow servers. So I was told they couldnt play inside a 3D space, thats why they needed this to happen via a script, I do have a quick question. Beside having an action node watch a UDP input from automation, what other efficient way is there to run scripts continually?

Code: Select all
P1 = Clock
IF P1 > P2
{
P2 = P1 - 500
P2 = Math.Max (P2, 0)
}
ELSE
{
P2 += 1
P2 = Math.Mod(P2, 2881)
}

IF P1 > P3
{
P3 = P1 - 1000
P3 = Math.Max (P3, 0)
}
ELSE
{
P3 += 1
P3 = Math.Mod(P3, 2881)
}

IF P1 > P4
{
P4 = P1 - 1500
P4 = Math.Max (P4, 0)
}
ELSE
{
P4 += 1
P4 = Math.Mod(P4, 2881)
}
Thank You

ChrisR
chrisr

Return to Widget Designer V6