Outgoing email on dedicated NIC

Christie Widget Designer Version 6 - Q&A

Moderator: Moderator Group

Forum rules
When asking make sure to include the operating system and the revision of Widget Designer you are using.

Outgoing email on dedicated NIC

Postby djrappa » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi
For reasons of obvious security when have an installation where WD must communicate with the various control systems on one Network Card on an IP range, and the host machine also has a second Network Card for communication with the outside world for supervision and monitoring.

I need WD to send emails using that second NIC, is there a way to do this/anything I need to setup?
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Re: Outgoing email on dedicated NIC

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 pm

Hello,

Make sure your routing is correct, then everything should be fine.
e.g. if you can reach the internet using a web browser, then WD should be able to send emails.

Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby justyn roy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 pm

This is correct,

I have several installations doing exactly this.

No special routing was needed.
Justyn Roy

Online Manual
justyn roy

Postby djrappa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 am

Great. Thank you!
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Postby djrappa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Dennis Kuypers wrote:Hello,

Make sure your routing is correct, then everything should be fine.
e.g. if you can reach the internet using a web browser, then WD should be able to send emails.

Dennis

I just wanted to clarify this, when you are talking routing, are your referring to the external network or something within the PC or WD itself?

From what I gather (please correct me if wrong) there is no where within WD settings to specify an IP, network or anything to send the email out of, only the smptp server. So how does WD know what connection to look for the server on?

Presently when I try to manually create a message within email settings, I just get an "unable to send email" error when I click send. Doesn't even seem like it attempts to try and send??

Thanks
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Hello,

I'm talking about the IP, subnet and gateway configuration of your network adapters (in Windows).

You don't have to specify an output adapter, the networking driver will infer that from the address and routing information present.

If you get this very quickly you may not be connected to a network that can reach the email server or the server denies the action.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby djrappa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Yes I'm having no success here.
Obviously the address for the smptp server is a domain and not an IP, so apart from the default gateway being set on the desired NIC and the route of 0.0.0.0 existing in the routing table to that interface I'm not sure how I can ensure that server is routed to that card?

On the server end I am assured that my IP has been granted access to that server.

I'm not sure I am aware of any further ways I can test/troubleshoot this issue with the lack of debug info available within WD to see where the issue is??

There is not access to the internet itself granted on this connection so I can't simply verify external connectivity that way unfortunately.
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 am

Hello,

you can try to use the ping command (Windows Command Line) to check if the route is fine. Then depending on the protocol you could use the connection manager to see if you can establish a TCP Client connection to that server. Does this work for you? If you're unsure what port to test, let me know what the protocol or your provider is.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby djrappa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:53 am

Thanks for all the info.

I did some further testing buy going and getting a 4G modem and connecting that to the same NIC and using my own personal SMTP server. Doing this I was able to get WD to send emails out no problems at all.

This allowed me to track down the problem to be a DNS and SMTP server issue on my clients end so it's now in their hands to fix, we know our end is all good.

Thanks again for the above info, that let us get it sorted from our end.
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Postby djrappa » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:41 am

Just for anyone facing a similar issue, we ended up having to use an IP address for the server and not a domain. This caused the problem of which NIC to look for. So the solution to this was to setup a static route within windows pointing that IP to the gateway of the correct NIC. This got the connection working.
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Return to Widget Designer V6