Built in Warper

This forum is for feature requests. Please report bugs to the support team instead.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Built in Warper

Postby malkuth23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 pm

So... I am still struggling massively with the built in Warper.

I see the hard work and improvements you all have put in and I don't want to sound nitpicky, but there are some things that are driving me crazy about it to the point that I still choose to launch the external Warper.

The main thing to remember when warping is that you want to be looking at the surface you are mapping as much as possible and your computer screen as little as possible. I feel like any experienced user will agree with this statement. The problem is with the new Warper, when you want to drag an FFD or mesh point, you have to actually click ON the point. With "Warper Classic", you just had to select the point (which you can do from the keyboard), then right-click drag from anywhere on the screen. This makes all the difference in the world! Keep in mind the FFD I wish to select is often not even on the raster! I have no choice but to look back at my laptop, select the correct point with my mouse, then look back up at the surface, re-find my place amongst hundreds or thousands of squares and then drag. After 24 hours without sleep, caffeine making my eyes jitter and anxious clients breathing down my neck, this is not a good workflow.

Please, please correct this and give us the ability to drag from anywhere on the screen once a point has been selected. I don't mind holding down a key combination while dragging. That would be fine. Right-click drag was always a bit weird, but it worked. It could just as easily be shift-left-click+drag, middle click drag, or something similar. I can map key combinations onto my mouse, so I don't care how obscure it is tbh.

Also... While we are talking about UI un-improvements, if you go way back in the history of Warper, you might remember that there was a time when we could click on a mesh and it would automatically select the closest FFD point. This was a GREAT feature that I miss dearly.

The new Warper is close to good, but it fails at some fundamental usability problems. I will continue to use and encourage others to use the external Warper for now, but I hope there will be improvements in the built-in Warper soon that will make it my primary tool.

Thank!
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Re: Built in Warper

Postby alverman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Multi-projector Immersive Display Software
https://fly.elise-ng.net/
This for me has a very convenient warping management.
If it also does part of the alignment !! :D
PROService -IT
Intel i7 2600K LGA1155
MB P8H67-MLE 16GB
2xSSD 250GB
GTX470
Win 8.1 PRO
Manager STD V6.1
Player PRO V6.1
WDPro V5 2500
** La famiglia ti nutre, ti veste .... finchè non sei pronto per girare il mondo alla ricerca di qualcosa di tuo. **
alverman

Postby malkuth23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I am not sure I understand this...
Unless this creates a .x file, it is not really useful for me. I am not interested in additional software that will add load and delay to the playback.
How do you use this software with PB?
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby justyn roy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:23 pm

I agree on another process to work with.

Besides, Christie's Mystique auto-calibration software is compatible with Pandoras Box
Justyn Roy

Online Manual
justyn roy

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:38 am

I am sure that auto-calibration is very important and I understand the emphasis on it, but my issue is that the built in manual warper has significant UI issues that make it demonstrably more difficult to use than the old version.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby alverman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 am

malkuth23 wrote:I am not sure I understand this...
Unless this creates a .x file, it is not really useful for me. I am not interested in additional software that will add load and delay to the playback.
How do you use this software with PB?

Hi malkuth23,
the software (Immersive Diplay PRO) I posted is not compatible with Pandora !!
...... anyway, try it to get an idea !! :)

I just posted the link because I find warping management compatible with your requests and trying it ..... is very comfortable for me !
I did not know about the existence of the Christie Mistique, so I think in the future Pandora will not have an integrated auto alignment system ....... sin.

Anyway coolux could integrate a similar pattern management of software I've reported "Immersive display pro"
PROService -IT
Intel i7 2600K LGA1155
MB P8H67-MLE 16GB
2xSSD 250GB
GTX470
Win 8.1 PRO
Manager STD V6.1
Player PRO V6.1
WDPro V5 2500
** La famiglia ti nutre, ti veste .... finchè non sei pronto per girare il mondo alla ricerca di qualcosa di tuo. **
alverman

Postby malkuth23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:41 pm

I think there are many ways that PB is cutting edge, but the warper interface is not one of them. There are probably a number of warping tools out there that are easier approaches to this tedious activity. If one of these 3rd party companies made a .x exporter that aligned with PB settings, I would probably buy the software... Ideally though, Christie works to make this process better. Then again, maybe I am the weirdo... Has anyone that has used the new warper disagree with me? Maybe I am coming at it wrong.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Benni_M » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:27 pm

I totally agree with you. to many errors in the software. and not yet implemented everything ....
still much to do there

best,
benni
Benni_M

Return to Feature Wishlist V6