Windows 10 vs Windows 7 - PB V5.10

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Windows 10 vs Windows 7 - PB V5.10

Postby julzzw » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:58 am

Hey guys,

Had a bit of a query with PB V5.10 and Windows 10 and wanted to know peoples thoughts on the matter.

I have a bunch of Player Pro licences running on Windows 7. As we know, Windows 7 support ended this month. Now we currently have no interest in upgrading to V6, but I wondered if anyone thinks it is (or isn't) a good idea to upgrade to Windows 10. I believe although the free upgrade to Windows 10 ended back in 2016, it is still possible to upgrade for free.

Obviously I'm not expecting any new V5 versions with additional requirements for a new operating system, and not hooking up these machines to the internet on a regular basis for the need of security updates. So just wondering if I should bother updating them past Windows 7 (if for nothing else to make sure that I'm on the lastest version of Windows)

Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks
julzzw

Re: Windows 10 vs Windows 7 - PB V5.10

Postby Werner Schuette » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Hello.

If you are using or want to update to Windows 10, we strongly recommend using Pandoras Box Version 6.

Take care
Werner Schuette

Postby vester86 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:08 pm

end of support for Win7 means for a big part that there are no security fixes and opviously no new features.
as long as the machines are not connected to the internet there are no risks in keep using Windows 7.
that does also mean you can not upgrade or replace hardware.

i would suggest let it run "as is" until you need to replace hardware.
Freelance sound / video technician
www.vestertheatertechniek.nl
vester86

Postby julzzw » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:19 am

Werner Schuette wrote:Hello.

If you are using or want to update to Windows 10, we strongly recommend using Pandoras Box Version 6.

Take care

vester86 wrote:end of support for Win7 means for a big part that there are no security fixes and opviously no new features.
as long as the machines are not connected to the internet there are no risks in keep using Windows 7.
that does also mean you can not upgrade or replace hardware.

i would suggest let it run "as is" until you need to replace hardware.

Thanks for both your input. Completely understand that V6 would be better suited for a Windows 10 install and that I don't really need to update from Windows 7 because they are for the most part not connected to the internet, and don't require new hardware at this point.

I am interested in hearing anyones experiences with running V5 on Windows 10 (again, I know thats not recommended), just to completely understand my options for future.

Thanks,

Julian
julzzw

Return to Pandoras Box V5