ASIO Soundcards (PB Version 5.x)

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: ASIO Soundcards

Postby sakiko » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 am

hello.

I want to connect USB audio interface to Pandoras Box Media Server.
So, Please tell me Which interface do you think better?

RME Fireface UC or MOTU 828mk3 hybrid.
sakiko

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi sakiko,

it is always hard to tell what is better or not. In the end you have to find a decision for yourself, depending on the quality of the visual feedback, the possibilities in general or whatever is different on the devices.
In generally, we have made very good experiences with RME interfaces, but I have worked with a Motu 828 MK3 last week as well without any problems. The only thing what happened was, that the device was not talking to the USB3 connecting on the computer. I am not sure whether it was an issue of the Motu device or the computer, but if you are facing the same, stick to a USB32 connection and everything will be fine.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby JustynR » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:45 pm

I have been using the Fireface UFX on several shows now. Using the driver that came on the CD... don't know the version - I'll get back to you.

Using it both on my Media Player PRO Clients (XP) and on my Media Manager STDs (Win 7) Firewire & USB.

Very stable, very fast setup.
Comes with software for routing and monitoring.

I have successfully used it on shows to get 8 discreet channels to produce amazing and affordable surround sound.

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: ASIO Soundcards (PB Version 5.x)

Postby Dave Thompson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 pm

We have the Ultralight Mk3. It occasionally gives me grey hairs. Sometimes, if I boot the card and manager machine the wrong way, it instantly blue screens and crashes he manager. This happens a couple times until i get the combination correct. It also sometimes has DC spikes and "flutter" and sounds like the audio tracks have had a bad night out at the pub. But It seems to be a common problem with these cards. I do think it is a great card for the money. it just can be very temperamental. The last time I used the card and it gave me dc spikes the audio guy on site reconverted the files on his windows pc and that seemed to resolve the issue. I will install the driver linked here and will see what happens! Thank you!
"Chairman Wow!"
Dave Thompson
coolux Germany

Postby JustynR » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:50 pm

We just bought 3 more of the Fireface UFX units - we have 2 packages for shows now (so we have a backup) - so far so good... haven't had any problems with it.

Unfortunately for me, I don't go grey... my hair just runs away from me and doesn't come back. I'm glad that this is a solution that is working for me so far - there is enough stuff going on making me lose my hair... don't need something else.
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby juay0004 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:41 am

Hi,

I am looking for something that offers a XLR out interface that is built into the PC like Lynx L22(http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=11) via a breakout cable.
Any idea whether this guy work fine on the Pandora Box system or anyone has something similar?
juay0004

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi,

from what I can see on the website
http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=11
it should work, sine it has a ASIO 2.0 Driver, but I can not garantee it since I have not tested it.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby juay0004 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Daniel Kaminski wrote:Hi,

from what I can see on the website
http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=11
it should work, sine it has a ASIO 2.0 Driver, but I can not garantee it since I have not tested it.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel. So I presume ASIO 2.0 works fine. Not just ASIO strictly?
juay0004

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi!

This is what we are using:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9652.php
As well mentioned in the starting post.

With the breakout cables you can run as well XLR.

Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld

Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby Jason Riordan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:10 am

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have now tested 3 different units from Focusrite and all have had extremely great reliability and ease of use. The units I have tried are:

Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 - USB Rackmount unit

Focusrite Saffire Pro40 - Firewire Rackmount unit

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - USB Tabletop unit

All of these units have been working now for over 2 months without a problem 24/7 with drivers that are easily removable and replaceable. I would highly recommend these units for anyone looking for a sub $600 US price audio interface.
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 am

Hi Jason,

great to hear.
Are you running XP or Win 7 and which Driver Version?
I would love to add those Information to the tested ASIO Card List.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby Jason Riordan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Daniel,

I've tried this using Focusrite version 1.8, 2.4 and the current version of 3.2 without issues on the Windows 7 machines we have installed. I wanted to ensure that it was not going to fault with any bugs hence me trying to go up to the latest version of the software slowly but in the end was correct from the beginning.
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Postby wijnand » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi Everybody.
Just want to share info about my soundcard. I purchased a E-MU 1212PCI-e, it feels rockstable. Some benefits: it has professional balanced outputs on large Jack plugs and it has an onboard DSP for mixing, eq and some other effects. Perfect for my needs to be in control of the final sound of my installations.
And most of all; it sounds very good. It's just plug and play. Highly recommend it.

My system:
Win7 64bit
Coolux player STD
Wijnand van der Horst Lighting Design
Coolux Player STD 5.5
wijnand

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 am

Hi wijnand,

thanks a lot for sharing the info. Would be lovely if you would let us know the tested driver version on your system.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Markus
Markus Zeppenfeld

Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby merCUrium » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:44 pm

I would like to report the Moto 828mk2 as NOT compatible on Win7 64bit (and presumably Win 8.1 as well)!

We wanted to use them on our new manager workstations, to be more in control and have an automatic backup running via manager backup mode on second PC and synched via LTC.

Firmware of the devices is 1.0.1 (current one listed on motu page is 1.0.2 but it seems the mk2 firmware cannot be updated).
Drivers tested (Motherboard used Asus h81i-plus):
32fw-Motu3_6_7_2101.zip - does not install, since purely 32bit
MOTUSetupAudio55333-1.zip - runs for about 4,5min then abrubtly stops audio-stream with nasty (digital) nois/click and only works again after rebooting the PC
MUAI_Win_59198.zip - chrashes immediately the Win USB-Host (no mouse and keyboard function) and even shutdown (triggerd via VNC) hangs
MUAI_Win_59644.zip - runs for about 6 min, then same as 55333, trying to play some sound on Win (the test function of the audio settings) crashes same as 59198

Looks like MOTU has pretty shitty drivers lastly.
I am giving up on this for now, put the MOTU-Cards back to the WinXP Servers.
But I want to stick to the solution with the Soundcard on the Manager in general, since the backup and direct access are two concepts I always prefer.
Are there any experiences with the RME MADIface XT? I need to get one external solution, since the only available slot is used by the GPU.
merCUrium

PreviousNext

Return to Pandoras Box V5