mpeg2 > fullHD

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

mpeg2 > fullHD

Postby ueliriegg » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 am

hello everybody

for my current project i use two SXGA+ projectors softedged next to each other, resulting in a native resolution of 2100x1050px. i'm looking for a media format that works with this sort of resultion and a) runs on a pandora server (preferably with a originally supplied codec), b) doesn't crash the pandora media manager and c) doesn't crash windows.
i have tried quite extensively with different codices and incountable variations of mpeg2. with the Super converter i can produce mpeg2 files, but windows and the media manager crash, because in mpeg2 there seems to be a maximum width of 1920 in the specification.

ideas, anyone?

cheers from switzerland
ueli
ueliriegg

Re: mpeg2 > fullHD

Postby Julia Foest » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Ueli,

you are right, it won´t work with mpeg2 if you want to have a resolution higher than 1920x1080 px. There is a way to do it. One of our customers created a video file at 2560x1200 px (.mov file, using h.264 codec).
But: he uses a media player with his own hardware and tried a lot of good graphiccards until he got a good and smooth result with the geforce 9800 GTX, that is built in our v4 servers (I don´t know if you use a server or player). So a lot of graphiccards cannot really handle this resolution in a good quality. And there is another thing to be aware of: you can´t use frameblending on these highresolution films as it only works up to 1920x1080px.

There is another (better) way to get the desired results for your softedge projection. It is splitting the content in two films, the leftern part of your film for the left projector (native 1400x1050px) and the rightern part of your film for the right projector (also native 1400x1050px). With this workflow you will have a better performance.
For more informations how to set up the content, please see this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54&p=216&hilit=softedge#p216

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Return to Pandoras Box V5