Adobe Media Encoder CC Presets 2K content

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Adobe Media Encoder CC Presets 2K content

Postby cwbanks » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:03 am

We have (2) dual players setup with manager standard and player standard. Running most recent ver.9088 I believe.

Is there anyone out there rendering content for coolux in mpg or best found codec for playback in coolux from Adobe Media Encoder CC?

If not ME-CC then what have you found to be the most "ideal" codec settings for 2K content with and without stereo audio?
Thanks
Last edited by cwbanks on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cwbanks

Re: Adobe Media Encoder CC Presets 2K/4K content

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:40 am

Hi,

If you have the encoder extension then you can select the HD preset and click NEW. Now click EDIT. You should be able to see the settings for HD:

encoder_extension.PNG

I tried to create a preset based on these settings (Note: It will drop the audio. This is the recommended way. Export audio as separate WAV file)
Pandoras Box HD Preset.zip

For 4K you can try using 4 times the bitrate (80MBit/s)

I am not sure about the GOP settings, so please check before using.

Best regards
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby malkuth23 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:25 am

GOP is the length of a frame "packet" - (Group Of Pictures - or glop as it gets translated in my head).
B frames are interpreted from previous frame.
I frames are the real deal, The whole salami, the bees knees... But really they are just a regular frame with no nonsense modified. They are your lighthouse in the decoding storm as you stray into murky waters of B and P frames... Using more of these requires a higher bitrate and is unlikely to help you with playback much (although it will make editing easier on a NLE)... Using less (longer GOP length) means cumulative errors.

In other words... Leave them alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures

PS. I think split wav should be the default, not discard. Too many times clients have asked me where the audio is after I have encoded everything... Dammit. I told them to make separate wavs, but they apparently have more important people than me yelling at them.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby JustynR » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Agreed with the split audio as the default.

A lot of times I make my own profile just to have the "audio split" as my setting...
Then I set the encoder to auto encode what ever I am importing...

It all works well. My only issue is that when I close the project and re-open it - the auto encode setting is loaded BUT the last profile that was used is not.

It would be great if either the default could have the split audio set to on.
and / or
Load the auto encode settings AND the profile

This way we can't forget... and IF there is an audio file, it'd be loaded with the video... what's the harm?

(a setting for the audio bit rate would be nice to! multiple content creators - multiple bit rates... I can't be the only one who goes crazy over this.. can I?)

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation!

Split audio is the default, isn't it? The Adobe Media Encoder CC Preset does not allow splitting audio, so that's why I mentioned that.

Best regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby malkuth23 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:47 am

Discard audio is the default in PB. It would be great to change that! I don't think it would hurt anyone and can definitely save us from having to do an encode over again.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Re: Adobe Media Encoder CC Presets 2K content

Postby florian » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

From what I understand:
Adobe uses the MainConcept MPEG encoding tools. This is kind of awesome because Pandora uses a modified version of the MainConcept SDK, which means that generally speaking, stuff that's encoded by Adobe (with the right settings) should play fine on PB. The principal settings that someone exporting using the Adobe MPEG-2 encoder (in ME, AE or PR) has to change are:

Disable "Export Audio" (checkbox at the top)
"Quality" to 100
Field Order: Progressive
Profile: High
Level: High
Bitrate Encoding: CBR <---VERY IMPORTANT FOR SYNC!!
Bitrate: ~25Mbps for 1920x1080 30fps

The extension of the output file should automatically change to M2V, which is the default for elementary video mpegs. I generally also recommend: using 30fps where possible and setting the Aspect Ratio for square pixels.

2k is a problem though:
The MainConcept encoder in Adobe is configured to verify that the output resolution is set to a resolution that is in the documented MPEG-2 spec.
http://www.iem.thm.de/telekom-labor/zinke/mk/mpeg2beg/beginnzi.htm#Profiles%20and%20Levels
(this document actually outlines a lot of the stuff about intra frames too.)
The DCI 2K 1.90:1 resolution is conspicuously absent from the list. So Adobe won't let you do this (unless someone knows a hack for it). The PB Media Encoder has the spec-confroming flags disabled, which means that it is boatloads more flexible for doing Pandora-y stuff with.

The only drawback is that there is a transcode during ingestion. Some people prefer to use the Adobe tools because it means that the transcoding can be done during export, before delivery. This is often a significant time (and space) saver, and may justify discarding 128pixels of horizontal resolution.

Audio: yeah, even in MC, you would want to do a separate export pass for the Audio (PCM WAV). Fortunately, exporting audio takes very little time.

cheers!
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to Pandoras Box V5