Control Via SMPTE

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Control Via SMPTE

Postby JustynR » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:23 pm

I am sure i will leearn all about this in Germany next week, but I have a client who is dying to know how this can be done and/or if it will work.
I am very confident it will, but he wants to know more tomorrow...

I will be setting a show up with 10 Pro Players, with 20 seperate screens (LED screens, plasmas and seperate projection screens-so no soft edge). it will all be set up as one canvas, so an object or video can pan from one screen to the other and so on. there is also custom content being made so there will be one huge video playing on all of the screens. What the client wants to do is have a set of speakers at each screen, if there is speaking on one screen, have the audio there, if there is a bird flying acrossed all of the screens, have the sound follow the bird and so on. They are in production right now for the audio and I have asked them for either a timecode track to be added to the audio or to have a line of smpte run to me. I am also going to be running a rig of about 300 moving lights on a Grand Ma console, all to line up with the audio.

What I am wondering is, would it be more benificial to run everything from the Grand Ma running off of time code triggering everything on the PB players and lights with the speaking and music, or to make a time line and run smpte into the Media Manager. Being a lighting guy originally and moving to this world of servers and such, I find it much faster and easier to program everything using DMX, however, can I guarentee the client that the audio will line up?

If the better option would be to go with the time line, What hardware/software do I need to get SMPTE into the media manager?

Thank you

Justyn
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: Control Via SMPTE

Postby Oliver Kilian » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:27 am

Hi Justyn,

You need our SMPTE Link for this. It is an XLR to USB converter that routes timecote (SMPTE) to or from Pandoras Box Master. One timeline can now act as timecode master or timecode slave. In the configuration tab it should tell you; Time code via USB available: yes once the driver s installed and the SMPTE link is hooked up. In the configurations tab choose your frame rate, and set the level to "1". Click on your sequence and go to he Inspector Tab. Set the time code mode to send or receive and the "stop" action. Now you are set to go.

If you get in touch with Andre Girard in Canada he'll get you all the information about the SMPTE Link.

See you soon
Oliver
Oliver Kilian
coolux sales department

kilian@coolux.de
Oliver Kilian

Postby proluxon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Hello Olivier,

Is there a way to "read" this timecode directly from the network instead of using the usb to xlr unit?

Thanks,

valy Tremblay, Proluxon
proluxon

Postby Julia Foest » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:36 am

Hi,
I am sorry, there is currently no other way to control the timeline via SMPTE beside using the SMPTE Link device.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Return to Pandoras Box V5