Any possible 3d import options, additions like 3ds, obj?

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Any possible 3d import options, additions like 3ds, obj?

Postby efeyuzak » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:13 am

Hello,
while Gmax is an effective(and feee of course) alternative, more and more content creators are now working on a more 'technical' environment, like, mapping on complex surfaces and such, creating content for that environment in 3dsmax like my self.

but i am having problems with the .x file. which should work very fine on most situations, but an .obj import option would work wonders in my opinion, in the future is there a possibility for that? or is that a very very hard thing to do?,

the thing is, texture baking in 3ds max gives me a lot of options, for example i put my object, assigned a simple material, have put some ligths around, animated them, for keeping it simple, baked those textures as sequences and you have a real 3d animation,or texture baking and importing that texture to after effects? you have a mapped,ready to fit surface guide, you can draw the paths, join them with your baked animation textures, that gives you endless options, depending on your surface of course, but while experimenting with the workflow of these stuff,i have noticed that, i have to go back and forth from 3DS MAX and PB a lot!, and warper of course, but in that workflow, in my opinion .x files are a bit primitive, now that most of the computers has lots of GPU power, i don't think this obj, and or 3ds format would hurt?

what happens is, theorically, i need to map a car, client sends me the cars model, which is cad most of the time, so after so many adjustments, i import it to 3ds max, i have a version of it to animate, another version of it for PB, animate version doesn't works well with PB(flipped normals, texture coordinate errors etc) most of these problems doesn't exist if i model the complex geometry myself, but client supplied models are just not made for these stuff, they work well in cads, or renders, and you might guess, modelling a car? or modelling a very complex architecture? i could use that time for a better 3d motion video.

Regards,
Efe Yuzak
efeyuzak

Re: Any possible 3d import options, additions like 3ds, obj?

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Good news,

an option to import .obj, .3ds and .fbx is implemented into Version 5.7
It has been shown at Prolight and will be available soon.

I do not know which of the many many options of these formats are implemented, but I am sure you will like it.
There are also a couple of other exciting things coming up. Take a look. All the Objects in this setup are .fbx or .3ds files.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8r46TCtiaI

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Return to Pandoras Box V5