A few newbie questions

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

A few newbie questions

Postby ceecrb1 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:41 pm

My copy of PB player arrived today... I have a few things I am trying to clear up before I get programming a show...

I will 99% of the time be using it to drive an LED display, controlling from my chamsys console.
Is there a way to just re-size a "master layer" so that all following layers are technically fullscreen but reduced to the led screen size?
ie. not having to resize each layer every day there is a different screen... just resize one master layer?

Can I get rid of the logo on the preview window at all?? I had actually thought of doing it this way... just let the led screen capture the windowed preview...... but I did not know about the logo till today.

Is there a way around the resolutions needing to be the same for both screens?
TBH thats the thing that annoys me most.. Its kinda standard that laptop/pc screens are 16:9 and led screen devices are 4:3... so laptop screen looks crap when reduced to 4:3 to make it work... seems kinda fundamentally wrong to me........ all a little annoying things to find out after paying and when no demo version available to try first.....
ceecrb1

Re: A few newbie questions

Postby JustynR » Thu May 22, 2014 1:08 am

Welcome to the club....!

1) There are a couple of ways to resize...
If using a console I will use the presets in the console and update them on a per-show / per-screen basis.

If I'm not using a console, I use the FOV setting found on the "Camera" Layer - change this setting and then change the X and Y offset of the camera to line it up to the screen.

2) No, you can not get rid of the Logo on the preview.

3) You must have both screens at the same resolution, there isn't really a work around for this other than using something like a scaler downstream of your Player.
This is really a limitation of Direct X, most media servers/players stuck with this.
A good "work around" for this is to use the Media Manager. Because you're using a Console you can probably use the Media Manager Light.
This will enable you to use different resolutions for your GUI and your Output.
You will also have a built in Media Encoder.
AND your Player can be at the stage and your Manager at Front of House - just put your Manager and Client on a standard network and you're set... so you don't have to extend your video signal from Front of House / control area to the LED wall...

There are a lot of benefits to doing it with a Manager - these are just a few...

That is what I'd suggest to solve those issues for you.

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby ceecrb1 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks for the helpfull reply!
ceecrb1

Postby ceecrb1 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:01 pm

I guess the biggest issue for me is the lack of a "global rescale"..

Eg if I set a show with various sizes, locations (eg pip, lower 3rds) ALL of those need updated....
If there was a global output, I could set my show once in console or PB, then just resize the entire screen area for any led display or projector/screen that should be presnted to me and keep my programming the same in every show.

That is why I had hoped to use the windowed preview as main out put, just clone the output and break out the preview window, resize of led wall etc and "job done".... just the logo is holding that idea back.
ceecrb1

Postby Patrick Verhey » Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi,

one way to globally adjust the canvas to the output size would be the keystone. With the keystone you can squeeze everything into your LED pixel space.
Or you could use the FOV of the camera.

best regards

Patrick

Postby ceecrb1 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:26 pm

I have Player STD so no keystone..

will get the manual out and try to learn the camera FOV trick!
ceecrb1

Return to Pandoras Box V5