objects are fun! Sketch Up to coolux

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

objects are fun! Sketch Up to coolux

Postby Sam Kriemelmeyer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Now we all know, Sketch Up is not the most in depth 3d program. But, it is free! You can create a .3ds output file.

Does anyone have any optimization techniques when going from Sketch Up to Pandoras Box or Warper?

Getting the .3ds in PB is fairly straight forward pending correct scaling. There are however, zero UV tools in Sketch Up, which seems to be a very big limitation. This makes it a Venue Sites only kind of tool where set pieces don't necessarily need a defined UV, but can use the default shading of the object instead.

This would be a good area of the forum to put any knowledge regarding Sketch Up and coolux products.
Sam Kriemelmeyer
Theatrical Concepts
samk@theatrical.com
Sam Kriemelmeyer

Re: objects are fun! Sketch Up to coolux

Postby sesalzburger » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:24 am

Hello Sam,

yes, i know Sketch Up very well. I use it often for architectural models and design, and sometimes for the Venue Sites. When you combine Sketchup and an other 3D modeling program (Blender) it's a very powerful tool.

But there is an other limitation. In Germany (i don't know the situation in other countries) its only for private Use for free. If you use SketchUP for business you have to buy ketchup Pro.

regards

Sebastian
SALZBURGERPRODUCTIONS | Sebastian Salzburger | Wollmatinger Strasse 120 | D-78467 Konstanz | Telefon +49 7531 99103-83 | Telefax +49 7531 99103-84 | info@salzburger-productions.de | www.salzburger-productions.de

SZENOGRAFIE | KOMMUNIKATION | MEDIENTECHNIK
sesalzburger

Re: objects are fun! Sketch Up to coolux

Postby florian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:52 am

i love blender as a modeler.

in my experience another issue with sketchup is that you wind up having less control over the topology of your model when you export to a different format.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to Pandoras Box V5