Issue with output on laptop

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Issue with output on laptop

Postby kevint » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi,

I do own a Clevo P170EM laptop with onboard intel HD4000 and GTX670m gpu. I do try to get some output from Pandoras box but I don't succeed.
When starting Pandoras box I do receive a message that Intel HD4000 is not capable of rendering and the question is if I want to disable it. When I do select yes I do have in render output 2 screens but I don't get any output on it. I can't disable the Intel HD4000 in my bios so that is not an option.
Pandoras-box-configuration-renderoutput.PNG

Any other idea what I could try to do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevint

Re: Issue with output on laptop

Postby david_r » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:01 pm

did you try "full screen is single" and then only select the external display?
Manager LT, 2x Player STD, Widger Designer PRO
david_r

Postby kevint » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:28 pm

I did try that but no solution. Do I need to apply in fact the setting or does it change directly when selected?
kevint

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:21 am

Hi.
Please check your BIOS if you can Turn off "NVIDIA Optimus"
Also check the logs and post which GPU and driver was found.

Running PB on Dual GPU is not supported, so if you can not choose your GPU you might be stuck!

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby JustynR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:08 pm

I've had issues with using the second output for a display and using the main output for the GUI when running MASTER when using the Player.

It just simply does not work - I spent about an hour trying many different things... resolutions... primary / secondary display and so on.

As soon as I opened Rev 9926 it worked like a dream the first try.

This was a few days ago.. hadn't gotten around to reporting it yet...

Thanks,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby malkuth23 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:47 am

That is probably a different issue.
I don't have PB in front of me, but the UI was tweaked in a weird way in the newer versions.

Basically you have to do the settings in the Engine settings and then click on the output and look in the inspector and check the correct output.

It is a bit confusing, but probably not the same issue Kevint is having.

What I might suggest for Kevint is to disable his laptop screen and just use an external monitor. The integrated video card will probably disabled at this point.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 am

Hey,

So in the current version there is one little addition that we made that breaks the second screen on a player licence. In this new version you are also able to tell PB in the Inspector of the Output Device what display to use. So if you want to use a single output on the secondary screen you set up the Configuration -> Render Engine just like you did (check the secondary screen in the "Use for fullscreen" column). Now the new thing: You select your Output 1 and go to the Inspector Tab. Scroll all the way down and from the Drop Down menu select DISPLAY2. It should now render correctly.

Note: This extra step will not be necessary in newer versions, it will do that automatically in the future.

Now regarding the notification about the weak GPU: Pandoras Box tries to warn the user about those, but sometimes the underlying system that swaps the GPU works correctly and uses the "fast" GPU, but PB can not detect that properly, hence the warning. So if everything runs just fine and the popup shows up anyway you can disable it in the tweak config. If you want to do that then I can find out the exact line you have to put in there (I don't know it by heart).

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby david_r » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:54 am

I'm sorry to pick that topic up again. I know that it is not recommended to use a Player on a notebook (with optimus) but I need a small setup so I'm thinking of using one notebook with Manager (Master) and one with Player (Client). Is there a Notebook that anyone can recommend for that? Is there a notebook that you already use successfully for a setup like that? Can you use a MacBookPro with Parallels for the Manager side or is that instable (would be necessary to run Manager and Widget Designer)?
Manager LT, 2x Player STD, Widger Designer PRO
david_r

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi,
Running Pandoras Box on a MacBook is not recommended at all. If you want to try you can, but stay away from Paralles use Bootcamp. We also had 2 MacBooks die the heat death running Pandoras Box on a Production, that is why I can only recommend not to do it. Apparently the Macbook cooling system was not made for heavy rendering load.

I have good experience with DELL Precision Laptops, but you have to take a close look which Model to get. Leonovo also has a good model, but I forgot which one.

Daniel
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:17 am

Hey,

I have the optimus feature turned off (in BIOS) on my Dell Precision, works perfectly fine!

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby Dave Thompson » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Dennis.
Where would I disable the Optimiser in the BIOS on my Dell. (M3800 win8.1 Nvidia K1100m) Collected yesterday. battling to get the render engine to initialize.
Thanks, Dave
"Chairman Wow!"
Dave Thompson
coolux Germany

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:01 am

Hi,

We have a couple of these. You can not.

I have a XPS15 that is quite similar. It's working fine (preview and fullscreen on either int. or ext. screen) as long as the nvidia driver is set to 'auto select GPU'. If u force it to nvidea it eill fail to properly loaf the engine.

Regards
Dennis
(Sent from mobile)
Dennis Kuypers
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Return to Pandoras Box V5