Client don't play clips accurate

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Client don't play clips accurate

Postby clatsy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Hello

Ive got 4 Player Pro from a rental company used as a client. and one Master.
They are old machine and recently update to version 4.7 since the licences is only up to 4 on the dongles.
So they are running Player rev 5771

They problem that occurs is that when i play a clip in the master sequence (I've used the medialoops from Coolux in mpg) its a slight delay when the clip starts playing in the clients. and once it starts showing up in the client its speeds up the first frames that it missed to keep up from where the marker are in the sequence at that point. Its the same on all clients. And the same if I'm just have one client active playing up just one clip without any effect.
It doesn't matter if i add a preroll. Again I'm using the the clips from the medialoops from Coolux. Its the same with other clips too.
The preview on the Master is always playing correctly and dosent speed up the start or misses the start.
And jumping in the sequence with the marker its a lot of deadly before the clip show on the client screen. It feels slow.

Could it be that the hardware is to old for the software version we using? They used to run v.3 on those machine. i can't find the spec for the version 4.7.

The hardware on the clients are
Win XP SP3. Home Edition.
Inte Core 2 Duo. 3Ghz
2gb Ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

What could i do to solve this problem? Any suggestions what more i should try out?

Thanks
//Robert
clatsy

Re: Client don't play clips accurate

Postby malkuth23 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Those machines are realllly old as far as our computer hardware goes.

Also - they are definitely house made because coolux would never put XP Home edition on and we have not used Radeon cards for a long, long time.

It is going to be tricky to support systems like this... That is why Servers are standardized hardware so it is easy to track down issues.

Make sure the firewall is off and no virus protection is on.
Make sure you have gigabit ethernet everywhere. Check your cables. Make sure your switch is gigabit as well as the NIC on all computers.

More RAM or a better video card might help. Not sure how much time you have to hack around.
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby clatsy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi!

Thanks for you answer.

Yea i have my own server which i usually work with...

I will make sure its all a gigabit setup, although i think it already is since the company which provides the system say so. But i will look through your suggestions.

thanks
//Robert
clatsy

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:24 pm

Hey,

Put aside the very old hardware that can probably not perform well anyways:

For reasons that I can not recall right now we only used professional XP versions (same for newer windows editions). I think that it was about network settings and some other issues there are using home versions. Make sure your user has sufficient rights.

I think you can also do the following: You can gain access to the "real" administrator when booting into safe mode (tap F8 while booting) then log in as Administrator. Here is a random article i found about this topic. Not sure if that helps in any way, I'm just brainstorming things that might help you.

Also ATI cards are (depending on the driver) sometimes ineffective or unstable. (so a different driver might help)

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby clatsy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks i look into that too!

One thing that did occur was when using the remote, when closing it a error message regarding microsoft net framework pop up. I got option to either quit or continue. If i quit the PB menu and all shuts down and if a start the master again the clients don't show up in the assets tab. But by not using the remote, when starting up the master i find the clients in the assets tab. (after a reboot on the master that is)

Could it be any relation with the .net framework and the issues with the playback on the clients?

i could see if i could a hold of the log file if needed.

again thanks for your support!

//Robert
clatsy

Return to Pandoras Box V5