Speed adjustment and audio

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Speed adjustment and audio

Postby pianist » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello forum!

I'm discovering the world of PB and still in a "pre-purchase" mode until everything is confirmed working in my special environment.

I'm live syncing movies with a symphony orchestra. And I found PB "Fluidframe" is performing absolutely perfectly, compared to other software I used - at least in the offline manager trial's preview screen. This is the performance I have been looking for so long! So far I managed to make a well functioning widget and some simple scripts to control playback speed with a wheel. I have two parallel movies running and would need the Player Standard with two licenses. The one outpout would go to a projector - and the other to a second control monitor showing me a clone of the first movie, except it has a visual click-track overlayed for my syncing purposes.

So - I have two video layers - one for the primary movie and one for the "control click track movie. They are both in freerun. The WD wheel controls both layers' playback speed. I made another wheel controlling the inpoint of the movies for rehearsal situations. Everything working perfectly - and both movies are nicely in sync, since they are encoded in 720p/25 elementary MPG2 video streams with the same encoding settings.

Sometimes - however - I need to have audio synced with those movies. For example we sometimes run a scene from a regular movie where we would like to hear the movie's original soundtrack/dialog in the beginning. The conductor will then react on some particular cue in the movie and start from there. From this point I take over the syncing, so conductor can perform freely and musically. The 2nd control movie then has waveforms and cues advancing from the right side of monitor as the music advances, and there is a visual metronome pulsing as well. Adjusting the tempo wheel slightly will keep me "zip-locked" with the conductor. Until the music has stopped and the dialog takes over again.

When having an audio track i freerun (also controlled from the WD tempo wheel) on the 2nd video layer, I discovered the audio is pausing for either a second - or even up to several seconds if adjusting the playback speed. The movies keep running perfectly smooth - but when the dialog needs to kick in at the end of the movie, the audio will then be totally out of sync, because it would have accumulated a considerably delay, due to all the speed adjustments until then.

So my question (if it's not hardware related issue - but a limitation of the program):

Since the movie always needs to run at 1:1 tempo on those particular dialog places (since it would otherwise affect the pitch of the dialog) - would I throug WD instead be able to get the position of the freerun movies and make some scripting that could simply trigger the particular audio clips at particular movie positions? For example having one small audio clip in the beginning triggered together with the movies from 0:00 and then another audio clip triggered at for example(M:S:F) 4:22:12 ? I guess this would be very simple on the PB timeline with cues if just running them 100%.

Another challenge regarding speed adjustments:
When adjusting the tempo slider upwards, the lowest achievable value (over 100) is 106.30%. While adjusting downwards I can easily read 99.9% The problem is - I often need the movie to run for example 102.2% or even 100.5% .

I should mention that my graphics card is a GTX570 - but will be stepping up to a much more powerful computer with a GTX980 soon.

Best regards - and thanks in advance,
Jacob
pianist

Return to Pandoras Box V5