Need your opinion about virtual servers

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Need your opinion about virtual servers

Postby claude.rivet » Thu May 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Hello! We are about to win a bid on a show for 27 projectors, a skyscrapper. Simple enough to map but long and potentially tedious nonetheless. As such I am trying to simplify as much of the process as I can.

I thought of combining 14 dual servers into a virtual server, this way I only deal with one media on one timeline but I have access to my 28 outputs to map and adjust.

BUT, I am not sure I can and if there are issues regarding reliability, stability, performance, and/or sync or anything else that could discourage me of going this way. In fact I would go as far as saying ease of use is great but not at the cost of these.

So what are your experiences with virtual servers for many outputs? Things I should know and prepare for?

Thanks!
claude.rivet

Re: Need your opinion about virtual servers

Postby aquapixs » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi,

I do almost every show with virtual devices and I never had any issues. Last week I was playing 13 projectors on a mapping with 3 Quads and a very weird Layer routing for the mapping. No issues at all and all playing very good.
So I can recommend work with virtual devices on this setup.

You only need to take on the performance of each server as you might end up playing back a lot of pixels on each machine. But with the virtual site tab and its selection of the rendering option you can easy selsect which server is rendering which files.

All the best vor your project

Patrick
Patrick Verhey
Director Creative Media

Email: patrick@pixlevolution.com
aquapixs

Re: Need your opinion about virtual servers

Postby claude.rivet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks Patrick!
claude.rivet

Return to Pandoras Box V5