Presets- a question

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Presets- a question

Postby steveo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi, I'm a new to Pandoras Box. We are trying to use presets. We are able to create, copy and paste presets and have them reference to other points on the sequence.Great. Once created the only way that we can modify the preset data is to change the value when we right click on the preset parameter (keyframe)and use the box to enter a value. If we adjust the parameter using the devices window or the parameter tab for the selected output(above the timeline) the change is made but when we choose "update from instance" the data though active is not saved to the preset.
Am I not understanding how presets are designed to work?
Thanks
Steve O'Connor
The National Ballet of Canada
steveo

Re: Presets- a question

Postby JustynR » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:07 pm

You've got to site active in the timeline first.

Those keyframes in that container will turn orange.
Right click on the Orange keyframe and click update from instance and you should be good to go.
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby steveo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Great, Thanks I see the orange preset and can update the preset when value a is entered from the inspector on a specific keyframe. However I do not understand how to change a parameter in the device tree (turns red) and then update that value to the preset. I'll have to get someone to show me.
Thanks again
steveo

Postby florian » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Hrm... I played with this too.

So the issue is that if you store active over a preset keyframe, the preset keyframe is removed and replaced with an explicit value key.

If you browse the preset tree in the project stack, or use the global preset tab to view your presets (a good idea if you're using presets anyway) you can right-click your preset and store active values to it there. This produces the orange keys justyn was talking about. besides that, the only other way to modify preset key values is in the inspector.

btw: you want to select the device you're trying to update keys from and use Store Active (Selected Devices), otherwise you wind up spewing a bunch of other possible gunk into your preset.

the preset system is a really cool start, but it's definitely ripe for some feature expansion. ie: it would be awesome if you could select a preset and see what values it holds in the inpector, etc...
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby steveo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:59 am

Florian, thanks for introducing me to the Global preset tab. The right click menu is really helpful.
I've done as you said and when I select 'Store active into preset' the red active goes away, the new value appears in the device tree and the keyframe/presets turn orange. If I then update preset from instance the preset turns blue and reverts to its old value.

Hopefully I will be seeing Justyn on Monday at his shop and can get some more help with this.
You're right the presets hold a lot of promise, I can already see a lot of uses for them.
Thanks again

S.
steveo

Postby florian » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:54 am

Hi Steveo,

It sounds like you might be updating from the wrong instance. Also, there are a bunch of context menu options with the word "instance" right next to each other. I have definitely, by accident, clicked on "revert all instances" when I meant to click "update preset from instance".

If you're planning on exploring this feature a lot more, you shoukd definitely keep us all in the loop about what sort of gripes or issues you have. Otherwise we can't make good recommendations to coolux about how we want these features to evolve. :).
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby steveo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks , I will keep you informed. I was unable to see Justyn today so I will start a new file with only one preset and one instance of that preset to eliminate the possibility of using the wrong instance.

S.
steveo

Return to Pandoras Box V5