Pandora Dimensions VS real world dimensions

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pandora Dimensions VS real world dimensions

Postby ericseipel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Im new, so excuse me if i'm missing something thats right in my face.

Im having issues getting the world inside pandoras box match the real world.

i have three screens, 2 outboards @ 30'x16.9' (2 output server STD, each output 1920x1080) and a center blend @82'x13 ( 2 output server STD, each output 3860x1080 split with a datapath x4, blended in projector) , all projectors are the same @1920x1080. I run into confusion when trying to set up my world so i can treat all three as one destination, in the default 16GU space the width of the outboards is the same as the width of ~half the main screen that is incorrect producing a sideboard camera that is too big compared to the actual projection surface, in a pixel per pixel setting the height of the sideboards is exactly the same as the height of the main screens, also incorrect producing a sideboard camera that is too small compared to the actual projection surface.

I was thinking about fixing this with the FOV setting in the camera, but this creates issues when trying to load the same background in each server that spans the entire canvas, or to fly pips across all 3.

Any thoughts on this, i'm sure someone has done something similar before?
ericseipel

Re: Pandora Dimensions VS real world dimensions

Postby florian » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:47 am

Hi,

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're trying to create a system of unit-parity between real world measurement units (feet), pbU's and pixels.

If this is the case, I guess my first concern would be that the vertical pixel/foot relationship isn't consistent across your screens.The sides are supposed to be 1080px high at 16.9' (~63.9px/foot), but the center is 13' high for 1080px (~83px/foot).

As you point out though, since you're vertical contstraints are the same across all three screens (1080px) you should be able to just lay out your project as a series of side-by-side or overlapping 1080 camera throws. The only reason for why this wouldn't work is perhaps because the overlap math you're doing in the datapath units or the projector blending is messed up somehow. For example, you say you're feeding the Datapath boxes with a signal that is "3860x1080". I'm assuming this is probably a typo? If not, you have 20 more pixels than you can fit into 2x1920.

The side screens are 1.775:1 which is close enough to make it 16:9 (you get about a pixel or two of letterboxing which is livable). The center is another matter. At ~83px/foot, the native pixel res of that screen would be ~6812x1080px. if you are using 4 rasters to do this you would need an overlap of roughly 290px(edit) between 4 discrete rasters, is this the case?
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby ericseipel » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:57 am

If I layout all cameras side by side and forego the 16gu space for a pixel consistent one, then due to the different heights of the actual real world screens, objects appear to grow when they are on the outboard screens. Conversely, when staying in the 16gu space, the objects shrink when moved to the outboard screens. I would like to load background graphics that contain all three content areas in one file, and just span it across the four cameras on each server. Maybe just split everything into 3 files for each scene and be done with it.

You are correct the 3560 is to keep the vesa timing happy, technically I would need the card to spit out 3550x1080 and thats not a legal resolution. I have the 2 datapaths set up to throw away 10 pixels each, the first 10 for PB output 1 and and the last 10 from PB output 2 (just like a center justified blend in an encore). So not a typo.

Center screen overlaps are 289, not alot, but doable.
ericseipel

Postby florian » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:26 pm

ericseipel wrote:If I layout all cameras side by side and forego the 16gu space for a pixel consistent one, then due to the different heights of the actual real world screens, objects appear to grow when they are on the outboard screens. Conversely, when staying in the 16gu space, the objects shrink when moved to the outboard screens. I would like to load background graphics that contain all three content areas in one file, and just span it across the four cameras on each server. Maybe just split everything into 3 files for each scene and be done with it.

You are correct the 3560 is to keep the vesa timing happy, technically I would need the card to spit out 3550x1080 and thats not a legal resolution. I have the 2 datapaths set up to throw away 10 pixels each, the first 10 for PB output 1 and and the last 10 from PB output 2 (just like a center justified blend in an encore). So not a typo.

Center screen overlaps are 289, not alot, but doable.

3550? Sounds like you're doing your Data doubling on the Datapath boxes. If you add 2 extra cameras you can compose 2 full 1920x1080 raster feeds side by side in each output, double-sample in PB, and then do your split in the datapaths down the middle without any weird scanning math to complicate things. That being said, if you're happy with it and it works I guess you probably don't need to fix it.

I think I'm still having a little bit of a hard time figuring out exactly what your solution strategy is. Here's what I'm gathering: You want PB to create an INTERNAL relationship between the physical set dimensions and it's Pixel-oriented-workflow, pixel space? If yes, then the issue is that you have a higher pixel density on some of your targets than others.

There's a few ways you could deal with it: spliting and pre-scaling everything is certainly one option, but I'm getting the impression that you'd probably rather change the global sampling setting somehow so that media is globally scaled to look uniform, and is interpreted properly using PB's 16 GE units for 1920px convention. Have you tried adjusting the Resolution on the side cameras? For example, if you use a multiplier that reflects the pixel density variance between your screens and stay in a pixel oriented workflow, Pandora should just scale your media for you. Try setting your side *cameras* from 1920x1080 to 2494x1404. This does mean that you are undersampling your side screen media, and that it will be anti-aliased more. You could achieve similar results by adjusting the FOV of the cameras instead, but if you want to be math-y about it this makes it a bit quicker.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to Pandoras Box V5