4K with Coolux

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

4K with Coolux

Postby Boorgxx » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi guys,
could you pleas help me to get basic overview how is 4K handled in PB?

what I have found but not sure enought:

SSD Coolux Quad can output 4x 2048x1080 ( 8192px) ? or 4 x 1920p (7680px)?
But internaly can works with 3840x2160 (but in how many layers? ) theoretically just one. (because I have tested with max 4x FullHD - 5th one was bit jitterish in xml pseudocodec)
Might be possible to get 3x UltraHD (3840px) layers if I will use HAP codecs?
or 2x 3840 + 1x 512px (To get full sum 8192px)

Could someone ples share some nice infographic or flayer where it would be explaneid? How many layers and outputs and pixels and sums of pixel it can handle?
I am bit confused now.
:idea:

And now it gets too fuzzy.
Is it possible to somehow output single UHD? or even 7680px with HDSDI? 6G or 12G or HDMI 1.4 or DVI?
or How do you ... do it?
...you do.
do..
.. too

I really don´t know now.
Boorgxx

Re: 4K with Coolux

Postby Thomas Mrozek » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:45 am

Hi,
there are different stages where resolutions are important.
1st Output: The PB Output just sticks on incoming EDID. Resolutions depend on bandwidth of the used port.
2nd internal restrictions: Playback of Video Clips in PB is restricted to 4k for all Servers and Player pro, Player LT + std are restricted to playback HD
3rd performance: please have a look on http://www.coolux.de/index.php?id=dowlo ... e/file-252
cheers
Thomas
Thomas Mrozek
Product Manager
Thomas Mrozek

Postby schoissi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi,
those are my results i got from testing with a Coolux Pandoras Box Dual Broadcast Server Pro,
the Server is around 6 month old, with SSD, so i guess the latest hardware revision.

Coolux Pandoras Box Broadcast Server Dual Pro
Output to UHD Monitor, Displayport from K5000, Resolution 3840x2160@30p

2x BMP Imagesequence @30frames, 3840x2160
14x DDS.snp Imagesequence @30frames, 3840x2160

i didn't test DDS with Alpha,
i would say at least 6-8 ? but that's a guess!!!

i don't get the 4K limitation,
i was able to play back files ( ind DDS format) that have been bigger than 8.000 x 1080 px.

EDIT 24.05.2016: file size was actually below 8000px wide, max. size is 8192x8192,
meaning width and/or height can not exceed 8192px.
@Coolux, please correct me if i'm wrong.

from the server mentioned above, not players.

hope this helps,
all performance results are for information only.

all the best,
Roman
Last edited by schoissi on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
schoissi

Postby plbrunet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:03 pm

That's interesting,

So what's the difference between a Server and Player that allows a Server to play an 8000+ px wide but not a Player?
Is it that the Maximum texture size of the render engine is bigger in the Servers' software? Where as the Players' maximum texture size stop at 4096x4096?

I very often come across this limitation and I find it quite frustrating. We have the ability to build powerful players with up to 4 outputs and maybe more and but we cannot use video files that are the same size as our total amount of outputs. In the end we have to split the content even tough it's going to be played on one machine. This adds complexity and time on projects that is unnecessary.

This lowers the flexibility, speed (and likely reputation) of using Pandoras' box and it's really too bad. PB is very powerful and can be used in many ways but yet some of those basic limitations make it more time consuming and complicated to use than other solutions.

For the most flexibility and simplicity, the only limitation on playback should come from the hardware's limit rather than the software's limit.
Pierre-Luc Brunet
Audio - Video - Show Control
http://plbrunet.com
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/pierrelucbrunet
plbrunet

Postby schoissi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:17 am

it seems i was wrong, at least what i thought that would be possible :-)

tried today with offline manager,
max file size seems to be 8192x8192px.
this also seems to be independent from the texture settings in the render engine tab,
i think those settings are for FX processing,
but this should be answered by Coolux.

From what i know from the past,
the max. content resolution on Player Pro ist QFHD, 3840x2160.
it might be true 4K, 4096x4096.
this should also be answered by Coolux.

i agree that it would be very helpfull and super time saving if there would be no content size limitation for the player product range.
i think there is also another thread in the forum where this topic is a little bit discussed.

however, i can also understand why there is such a limitation,
just look at the price point,
as you say, you can build with player dongles and a well hardware spec'd pc a great performing, 4 output media player.
at a way lower price point than the servers...
and for most applications, regarding standart videoplayback, including standart warping and even complex, interactive scripting projects,
players is all you need.
therefore, it is somehow understandable that coolux also applies software limitations to the content size.

looking foward if this could be changed in the future, let's see :-)
schoissi

Return to Pandoras Box V5