Bizarre network issue

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Bizarre network issue

Postby azman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:18 am

Hi All,

I'm looking for anyone who may have had a similar experienced:

I'm currently doing an install & I can not see clients in assets window in manager nor see manager ip in client window on certain switches,
Manager & clients using rev 12383 - manager running windows 7 pro & clients running windows 8.1 pro.

on these particular switches I can still ping machines, still vnc & transfer files but not connect manager with clients.
The domain is correct,
the ip range is correct,
subnet is the same,
they are on a vlan with no port restrictions,
Firewalls are all off,

IT are trying to work on a solution but we are hitting brick walls..
at the end of the day we can look at running of a stand alone network with a switch with no issues but this is not the preferred choice (not my choice),

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Az
azman

Re: Bizarre network issue

Postby AViefhues » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Hi Az

what kind of switch are you using?
I had some simmilar issue with small Netgeat switches (8-port I think).
"Normal" network is working but coolux network-traffic seems to be blocked.
I think these switches have some kind of security functions, even if they are not managed.

cheers
Alex
AViefhues

Postby vester86 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Did you try: "take over all sites in domain" ??
Freelance sound / video technician
www.vestertheatertechniek.nl
vester86

Postby azman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:28 am

Hey all,

The switches that gave issue where:

SMC switch - SMCGS18P
CISCO Catalyst C6800IA (this was the managed switch with all ports open on a v-lan)
There was also another 'dumb' switch which I didn't get the name or model of.

I did have success with a CISCO Catalyst with a V-Lan config.

I'm hoping to hear back from the IT guys as to what they find, I'll report back here.

Vester, yes - tried it amongst a number of other different things within PB & windows.
azman

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:29 pm

Hello,

we always ask people to avoid managed switches because some people can not properly configure it to be totally transparent. Make sure you are using (in HP terms) untagged VLANs. Also make sure that the switch is not trying to be smart about anything. There were customers with issues related to monitoring services and smart routing services.

For our testing facilities and training room I have set up a couple of Cisco Catalyst switches with VLAN as well, they work like a charm.

If you are saying that it works with another set of switches then it is pretty certain that the managed switches or the configuration are the problem. You might also want to check cabling, maybe there is a bad cable. It might be possible, for example that the unmanaged switch runs the link at a different speed than the managed one. Different links can require a different amount of connectors, so a bad cable could work on one speed, but not on the other.

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby azman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:45 am

UPDATE:

Hi All,

I received word from IT guys in charge of network switch for install & they managed to find the solution.

Here is the message I received:

'Also some positive news is that the network issue got sorted. It was the switch configuration that was causing the issue. The software uses multicast to find the clients and manager. The switches were blocking it on layer 2. The solution was to enable layer 3 multicast for the layer 2 (that the software uses) to work'

Hope this can be of assistance to others, so they don't go thru the pain I went thru proving it's not the software.

Cheers

Az
azman

Return to Pandoras Box V5