Size Bitrate and length of video

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Size Bitrate and length of video

Postby SpykeGM » Mon May 02, 2016 1:27 am

Hi,

A little question : is there a lenght/bitrate/size limitation of a video that we put on a media layer ?
We are using for manager : PandorasBox Manager LT (Rev 10085) on HP Z400 Hardware (Win7/64bits, Intel Xeon 2,8Ghz, 6G0 RAM)
and for players : PandorasBox Player STD (Multi-License 2x) (Rev 10085) on HP Z400 Hardware (Win7/64bits, Intel Xeon 3,2Ghz, 4G0 RAM)

For video, we generally use MPEG2 codec, 20Mb/s (in 25im/s)

We would like to use some videos that lenght 20mn, do you think it's possible?

Regards (and sorry for my english :) )

Gaëtan
SpykeGM

Re: Size Bitrate and length of video

Postby JustynR » Mon May 02, 2016 5:49 am

Hi,

Short answer:
Size limit for Player STD: 2K
Bitrate limit: isn't one
Length limit: isn't one

Long answer:
I believe with the Player STD you are limited to 2K video - unless you've upgraded your license to handle 4K.

As for Bitrate, it's what ever your machine can handle.
I've had a machine with a RAID 10 using SSDs and a Quadro graphics card playing back 140Mb/s without any problem.

For length of the video, that isn't an issue either, especially if you already use MPEG2.
The trick here though is getting your audio (if any) to sync with your video IF you're playing on multiple machines.

If you've only got one machine playing the video (even if it's on 2 outputs) you can keep the audio track inside the video and everything will stay in sync.

If you need to use more than one computer, you've got to split apart the audio and video into 2 separate files.
This is so the video will stay in sync across multiple computers, Pandoras Box does that automatically for you - if the video doesn't have an audio track in it.

The trick now is to get your audio to stay in sync.
This isn't usually an issue for shorter clips, if it does drift, it won't go far.
For clips that start getting above 5 minutes or so, this is when I like to introduce an ASIO audio card. (an RME or something like it)

With this gear, now your audio files will stay in sync with your video (there is a little setup to be done, but it's covered quite well in the manual).

I hope this isn't too much more info than you were looking for.

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: Size Bitrate and length of video

Postby SpykeGM » Wed May 04, 2016 1:20 am

Perfect ! Thnks for your time

Regards,

Gaëtan
SpykeGM

Return to Pandoras Box V5