4k Encoding

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

4k Encoding

Postby djrappa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:13 am

Hi
Up until this point our legacy show has always run 1920x1080 content pre encoded to mpeg 2. As we are currently upgrading our projectors we want to move to some higher quality images. Ideally I would like to bring 4k files into Pandoras Box to play back on our Player Pro machines.

What I'm having some issues with is bringing in Quicktime files into my project and encoding.

If I bring in a 6 second Pro Res file in a mov containing it runs about 0.8gig. The quality looks great and the players will play the file with a lot of effort but playback is less than ideal and with our layer structure it won't work.

If I run them through the encoder extension using the AUTO setting I will get an encoded file that's only about 20 meg and the quality is HUGELY reduced.

If I try to edit the preset and do a custom encoding it won't allow me to change the output size to anything larger than 1920x1080.

I'd like to strike a happy medium where by I am re-encoding the Pro Res content to something with better playback performance but not dropping so far down in quality like I get if I use the AUTO encoding settings.

What should be my workflow here?
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Re: 4k Encoding

Postby JustynR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:37 am

There are a lot of threads on here about this...

But to whittle it all down, I've been quite happy lately using HAP and HAP-Alpha.
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby djrappa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:46 am

I did have a quick look through but couldn't find any that were really answering this question, please feel free to point me in the right direction of an existing thread so I don't fill up a new redundant one.

Are you saying to make the content originally in HAP codec?

My issue is that I'm being supplied ProRes files, and I can't really do anything about that. So I need to convert/encode them to something different within coolux...
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa

Postby florian » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:27 pm

The Hap Encoder is free.

Usually for ProRes to Playback Media purposes I recommend Adobe Media Encoder.

If you get the qt-codec for Hap from here:
https://github.com/Vidvox/hap-qt-codec/releases

and install it, you should be able to transcode from ProRes to Hap/HapQ/HapA/HapAQ with ease.
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Postby djrappa » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:07 am

Great I'll give that a go.
Thanks.
Cheers
Clint Dulieu
Dulio Design
djrappa