Masking (workflow)

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Masking (workflow)

Postby vester86 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

hi there.

for a new theater production i'm working on, i have to project a video on a piece of decor, hanging in the air. so far no problem.
you can see an (part) of this decor here in the background.

the problem/question i have is as follows:

for the first show i have made a nice mask with an PNG (transparent). what is the easiest way to "adjust" my mask for every show? for other shows the projector wil not be in exactly the same spot, nor will the decor, for various reasons (sadly). offcourse, the rough shape will be the same but i don't think that scale/position my mask will be precise enough, because the decor is quite deep/3D. the projector stands behind the decor, at an angle of roughly 45*, 2mtr from the ground. (no other place possible )

i have considered doing the masking in the warper, but i have not been able to find a "load" button in the warper, to import any previous warp/mask ?? did i overlook something??

thanks for all your responces!

Joris
Freelance sound / video technician
www.vestertheatertechniek.nl
vester86

Re: Masking (workflow)

Postby cyeary » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:16 pm

If you are on a server the fastest way would to use a 3D model and adjust the camera or model in each venue. If you are saying that the scenery and projector will change that is much harder. You could use several 3D objects and project on them then adjust those objects in each city. (again only if a server) If you are on a player I would just suggest lots of 2x2 black layers to adjust it dynamically and have them live on their own sequence. This is assuming the scenery will always stay "blocky" like the picture.
Cameron Yeary
Unlimited Visibility, Inc.
cyeary

Postby Dennis Kuypers » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 am

Hi,

If you just want to mask it you can use the warper and put meshes on all planes (they may overlap). Then use "Edit -> Apply Planar map to all to bounds". This basically creates a "mask-object" for you.

Give it a try!

Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kuypers
(former Product Developer, Software)
Dennis Kuypers
coolux Germany

Postby vester86 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks both, i'm gonna take a look at the given options this week!
vester86

Postby vester86 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Easyest solution is creating an extra number of graphic layers with a black square PNG on it, move & scale every one of them on the right place in the "canvas". This way gives an easy workflow to do it live during the setup phase.

Thanks for the suggestion!
vester86

Return to Pandoras Box V5