Backdrop shadow

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Backdrop shadow

Postby fwieland » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:44 am

I often have a setup, where I show content as a picture in picture on top of a screen filling background. To make the PIP seem more 3 dimensional, I would like to create a backdrop shadow behind it, so it seems to be floating on top of the background. Basicaly a black border on the right and bottom side which is a few pixels wide and dissolves into the background color.
Does anybody know a quick and dirty way to do this ?
fwieland

Re: Backdrop shadow

Postby JustynR » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 am

A quick and dirty way to to do this is to take another layer (graphic or video) size it and scale it so it is the same size as it, with any peice of content (static or moving will work). Take the FX on the layer in the back select brightness and take FX 1 and put it to 0 to turn that layer in the back black. The offset that layer by as many pixels with the X and Y as you'd like. When you move this PIP, select both layers and the shadow will stay with it.

Good luck
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby fwieland » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:23 am

thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking along that line as well, but this would not create a border which dissolves into the background, it would have a hardedge line. Or am I missing something ?
fwieland

Postby VisuaLies » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 am

You could allways use a black picture with the "blur" FX and/or leave the intensity at 50%.

-Kasper
VisuaLies

Postby Julia Foest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 am

Hi,

to get the black layer fading out into the background, just add the video fx alphasoftborder and adjust the outlines of the "shadow".
Like in the picture.
shadow.jpg

Regards, Julia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julia Foest

Postby fwieland » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks Julia
That's exactly the type of effect i was looking for.
fwieland

Return to Pandoras Box V5