Play Reverse

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Play Reverse

Postby studioelement » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Is it possible to do a reverse playback of a video ?
studioelement

Re: Play Reverse

Postby Julia Foest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 am

Hi,

no, I´m sorry, there is no reverse playback function.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby viperware » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but is this feature available yet? I will need the software to playback a piece of content based on an industrial encoder position for both speed and direction. I won't need it until October 2012, but obviously sooner is better. Thanks.
-paul
viperware

Postby Jason Riordan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 am

If you take an image sequence into exporter, you can create the sequence either forward, reverse or ping pong. This is a new feature.
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Postby Markus Zeppenfeld » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Jason,

as an MPEG-file is referencing blocks of pixels to move to another position over time, it is not as easy to decode an MPEG string backwards.
To playback a so called gop (group of pictures) which are referencing and predicting from the start to the end you have to decode the complete gop before you can show the last frame of this group. Therefor you have to store the decoded frames in the meantime.

These frames are called:

I-frame - intracoded frame (contains the complete information of the image like a jpeg)
P-frame - predicted frame (predicted in only one direction and consists out of information of the "older frames" and new pixels)
B-frame - bidirectional predicted frame (bidirectional predicted and consists out of information of newer and older frames and new pixels)

Gop 700x250.bmp

As we are always fighting for the best and fluent playback and this is nothing which is a good way of playing back files, we do not have this feature so far. Whenever you need to playback a file backwards, it would be the best way to render it out in this direction.

Regarding your specific topic:
What exactly is your plan to do? Do you want to playback a specific frame for each encoder position, or do you just want to "scratch" over the timeline in different speeds?
You could either think about really moving the timeline into these directions or directly trigger a specific frame via the Widget Designer.
Please keep in mind that both ways are not meant for good and fluent jitter-less playbacks.

Cheers
Markus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Markus Zeppenfeld
Senior Product Manager, Pandoras Box

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (from "The IT Crowd" / channel 4)
Markus Zeppenfeld

Postby n.weber » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi,

i have a similar requirement to the one above, control a video's play direction/speed through an external sensor. I can do that via the sequenceControl Node in WD however if i have two independent videos/sensor this approach obviously won't work anymore. A poster above suggested something about image sequences but i don't understand where i find those settings or the exporter.
I'd appreciate any advice.

Kind regards
Nadja Weber
n.weber

Postby JustynR » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Nadja,

This would still work on multiple timelines wouldn't it?

If you were to put 1 timeline per video/sensor pairing.

As for the Image Sequence - goto the PB Image Convertor (Found under "tools" in Pandoras Box),
Select your image sequence - select the output folder and then click "MPEG Export".

You'll find the settings in there.
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby n.weber » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Hej,

if you say timeline you mean sequences right? apparently my player version (std) can only have sequence.

the thing is, i have two films visible at the same time, but their playheads could be at different positions and go in different directions...
I guess simply encoding my img sequence into an mpeg won't solve that problem.

kind regards
Nadja
n.weber

Postby erica frost » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:54 am

Hi,

You need to run your Player as a client controlled by a Manager. Only manager dongles give you access to more than one sequence.
http://www.coolux.de/products/pandorasboxmanager/

Erica
erica frost

Return to Pandoras Box V5