Midi Time Code?

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Midi Time Code?

Postby dantronic » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi there, I need to send Midi Time Code out from PB to trigger external devices. What is the best way to do this? The WDP nodes seem to only send out single messages.
Thank you!
dan
---
Dan Ribaudo
dantronic

Re: Midi Time Code?

Postby JustynR » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:23 am

The easiest way to do this is kind of a work around....

Take the Coolux SMPTE cable (basically looks like a USB to XLR cable - but it's not just an adaptor)... program what you need to program onto the timeline, tell it to sent SMPTE. Then what you'll need to do is find a device (I work with someone who has 3 of them) it's a timecode generator. It generates SMPTE, Midi TC and Word Clock, it also CONVERTS from any one of these to any other without losing any frames...

I don't know the name of the device, but I've left a message about it, I'll let you know when I know. I know they're not expensive at all.... he found one of his at a pawn shop for very cheap. :)

I've used this on shows and it's been solid, never had a problem with it.

Hope this helps... unless there is going to be a way to take Midi TC and Send it soon...

Justyn
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: Midi Time Code?

Postby Jason Riordan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:01 pm

The unit Justyn is referring to is a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV. I have worked on a couple of installs that have used this piece and is rock solid.
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Return to Pandoras Box V5