"Optimized looping" and other questions

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

"Optimized looping" and other questions

Postby minh_truong » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:11 am

Hello,

can someone please tell me what the "Optimized looping" option actually do ? (in the clip inspector)
Let's say I've a clip that was created as a loop.. does it help in any way?

Also, I've just checked that option on two clips, and now they can't play anymore (only see black)... it also says it is now 0fps..

Another question:
let's say I've an Intro clip, a loop clip, and an extro clip. All the clips play seamlessly (last frame of one clip is the first frame of the other). All of them are on the timeline, back to back. Intro clip starts, then I've placed a "Pause" cue at the beginning of the loop clip so it plays the loop indefinitely ("Lock to time" unchecked)...
Now, let's say the operator gives the next cue, and I want my loop clip to complete his current loop and goes on with the extro clip, so there is no jump cut in the picture... How do I do that?

If not possible, how do I set the next cue (the extro clip) for it to cross fade with the currently playing loop clip ?

I'm not sure if I am clear, but the point is I want to avoid the jump cuts (either cross fade or completing the loop)

Thanks for your help !!
Anh Minh
minh_truong

Re: "Optimized looping" and other questions

Postby JustynR » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:04 am

Not sure about your first question with the "optimize looping"...

But as for your second question about finishing the loop... I don't think there is a way to make sure that a loop that is not locked to the timeline go into the next video seamlessly...
the best way i've done this is to set the clip to not be locked to the timeline (as you've done) then place a pause cue on the timeline a frame before the crossfade into the next clip. That way when you push play again, it will cross fade into the next clip right away.

Hope this helps,

Justyn
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby minh_truong » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:34 am

Hello Justyn,
thanks for your help!

I guess you're right, and there's no way of getting seamless loop when the container is "unlocked from time"... will have to find creative workarounds...

The "optimize looping" option is in the inspector, when you select a clip directly from the bin/library... (not from a container on the timeline)... It's the same inspector window that allow you to use alpha channel..

Thanks!
minh_truong

Postby Patrick Verhey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi,

the optimize looping will do a frame fade from the last to the first frame of the clip. This helps if the clip is not made as a loop. Sometimes the clips are not produced really nice, and so the optimize looping will help for a smoother playback.

To answer your second question I would need some more information. The main question would be if the outro loop starts with the same frame as the "wait" loop ends? Or is it a different type of clip?
You can get a smooth fade from the one clip to the other by using a different layer and set a fade out to layer one and a fade in to layer two. The pause marker should be at the beginning of the fade. But this will not work if you need to got from the same frame to the same frame.

To get a smooth in that case you need to programm it in a different way. The best way is to have the intro clip on layer one, the wait loop on layer two and the outro loop onto layer one again. Set all containers to lock to time and add a jump cue to the wait loop to jump back from the last frame to the first one. You also need to extend that layer so that you can add a fade out to whatever fade time you need. Make sure that the jump cue is in front of that fade. And also set the outro loop with a fede in to start right after the jump cue. Set the Jump count to 0 so that it will jump forever.

As you are in you show no, you can go into the jump session and let it run forever. Once you need to go on you set the jump cue to be a play cue by changing its value in the inspector. Now the nowpointer will pass that cue and run into a smooth fade to the outro loop.

I hope that this short explanation will help you. Please reply here if you need any further assistance.

Best wishes

Patrick

Return to Pandoras Box V5