Offline Manager...

Christie Pandoras Box Version 5

Moderator: Moderator Group

Offline Manager...

Postby JustynR » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:16 am

I've got a question/wish about the offline manager.

I've been working a bunch of shows lately where I actually have a content creater sitting beside me making content on the fly (during programming and during the show). It is very slow to have to save the content to a key, transfer it to the manager, refresh the folder, drag it in and spread it.

Can I take the offline manager, and put it on my content creator's computer running in the background and see it in the asset tab of my manager? I am assuming that there is no 'client' for the offline manager. SO could that be created where I open the offline manager as a 'client' without the render engine... just so I can see the assets on that computer? This would be a HUGE help on site and otherwise.

I hope I'm being clear with my question/wish.

Thanks

Justyn
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: Offline Manager...

Postby Julia Foest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am

Hi Justyn,

I know what you mean, and your idea was quite fine, but --- you can't start the manager as client, as it is always a master system. So this wouldn't work out.
Although the normal procedure is not more extensive than the one you suggested, except that you have to copy the new content to the manager machine. Refreshing the asset tree, dragging the content into the project tab and putting it on the layer - this will be the same like in your way.

Sorry, there is no faster workaround for this topic...

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby JustynR » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:46 am

Could this be moved to the Wish List then?

Thank you
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby Patrick Verhey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi,

actually there will be no way to get a communication into the offline manager as all the network possibilities are switched off. Thats why it is the Offline Manager....

If I do shows having a content creator working on site I usually put this computer into the network as well. And once you have a network shared folder on your Manager computer he can move all files into that folder. As soon as he did that he can give you a note and you can refresh that folder in your manager and load the files in the project. The Manager will spread all files and you can work on.

Actually it would be the same workflow to load the files from a client computer as you suggested. The only difference is that the content guy needs to copy the files via network to your computer. All the rest is the same.

And there is one really big advantage of my version. All files are original loaded on the Manager. So if you need to backup the show at the end you only need to save that one folder and you can move it to any other computer.
If you are running your version you will get in Problems as soon as the content creator computer is gone. In that case the origin of the files is gone and they will be all inconsistent.

My advice to everybody dealing with content is anyway to always have all files on the Manager computer. Once you start dragging files from different sites into you project you can mess up very quick and it will be a hard time to backup a show.

best wishes

Patrick

Return to Pandoras Box V5