PB Manager/player on Asus G series laptop

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

PB Manager/player on Asus G series laptop

Postby uncaso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Ciao all!
I'm a new enthusiast PB user, just had to deal with a simple one screen projection for an opera scene in Italy and i fell in love with the system.

Actually i'm working on a personal architectural project and planning to run a big 3 screen full hd projection job for a client in may.

I was looking for and affordable and powerful laptop to use it as media manager and eventually player, my choice was an Asus G53JW-A1

It's a gaming oriented laptop equipped with:
Intel® Core™ i7 740QM
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
Mobile Intel® HM55 Express
DDR3 1333MHz 8GB
15.6 inch 16:9 full HD (1920 x 1080) LED
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M with 1.5GB GDDR5 (Fermi architecture with Nvidia 3D engine)
500GB, 7200rpm Solid State Hybrid (Seagate Momentus XT and 2nd slot avalaible for raid or ssd, this will be my 1st upgrade)
Blu-ray/DVD combo

It comes at 1.500€, a real bargain compared to a mobile workstation such as Dell or HP.

I'm waiting for an offline manager key I've purchased 'cause i had to return another one a friend lend to me, so i wasn't be able to install the sw on it yet, planning to do really soon.

Actually I'm a little concerned about a couple of issues and maybe someone here will be able to help keeping me happy with my new pc.

Do i need to upgrade win7 home premium 64bit to professional?
Does anybody have experience using PB with Asus g series or similar gaming laptops?

Thanks
uncaso

Re: PB Manager/player on Asus G series laptop

Postby malkuth23 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:59 pm

XP professional 32bit or Windows 7 Pro 64bit... Anything else and you are on your own :)

My unofficial opinion is that the laptop itself should be fine hardware wise.

Good Luck-
Matt
Matthew Newman-Saul
Theatrical Concepts
mattns@theatrical.com
malkuth23

Postby uncaso » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks a lot!

I hope to test my hw monday, i'll let you know if and how it works :)
uncaso

Postby Patrick Verhey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi,

what Matt said is totally right.
If you can get Win7 professional 64 bit for a good price you should go for it since this will be much better than the home version. I know that people are running Win 7 home, but regarding the performance it is not as stable as professional. But with the 8GB Ram in that computer you should be fine.
Just give it a try....

We did use, and still use Asus Laptops at coolux since a while. They are pretty good and kind of workhorses. The only Problem I had with my one was that the plastic housing did fall appart. But I was traveling with it for two years and it had been on the plane maybe a 100 times. And I usually have my laptop in a Peli Case and drop it with my luggage at the check in. So it was not really surprising me that it was falling in pieces after two years.

So, for my opinion, go for it. Give it a try with Win7 home.

best wishes

Patrick

Postby uncaso » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Patrick!

Just Installed PB Offline Manager on Win 7 64bit Home Premium and it seems to work :)

I agree with you, Asus Laptops are definitively nice workhorses, construction materials are not comparable to professional mobile workstations or just major brands such HP or Sony, but value for money is not comparable too :)

Anyway this gaming series has an ugly giant case optimized for cooling and it seems to be tougher than the usual commercial laptop. I was more concerned about the graphic card installed on it, someone told me that I'll have problem not using the Quadro series ones but actually I' m astonished by the performances in managing 3D and fullHD contents, that was all i wanted considering that previously I've worked on huge rack pcs or 26" mac i7 and portability was not really an option.

Actually i just need a reliable machine to work offline and as far as i Can do it without giving 130€ to mr. Gates I'll keep my Home version and I'll spend my money for a second SSD drive wich will give me a real performance boost.

Thanks a lot to you and all at Coolux for your kindness!
uncaso

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components