Martin Maxxyz and Artnet

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

Martin Maxxyz and Artnet

Postby Patrick Verhey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:14 am

Hi everybody,

as I needed to setup a Martin Maxxyz Compact with Pandoras Box yesterday I was suprised how to patch Artnet to that console.
Martin allows you to Patch a Universe and a DMX Adress, so you are able to patch for example Universe 8 with DMX Adress 38.
I was wondering about the Artnet ID and Subnet configuration. There seems to be no way to set the subnet ID.
And on Universe 8 is no signal coming into Pandoras Box.

After 30 minutes of research I figured out that Martin does not allow you to change the subnet. The always use subnet 0. And the next crazy thing is that they don´t count from 0, the start with a 1.
So Universe 8 is in reality Subnet 0 and ID 7. If you Patch Universe 8 at Adress 38 in the Martin Console, you need to patch the Pandoras Box Layer to Subnet 0 / Universe 7 and Adress 38.

This is logic, or?

regards

Patrick

Re: Martin Maxxyz and Artnet

Postby Patrick Verhey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:46 am

Hi everybody,

here is the answer to my Artnet Question posted in the Martin Forum. Whatever you want to do with this information..... ;-)

Hi!

I worked on the pandora's library with the US support team, they actually came out to my office for an afternoon. The library was approved by them and everything should be working ok on every channel.
The mapping of the faders can be done in the menu for software 2.3 on. I would recommend installing 2.3.320 to really see how the new navigation works. You can not edit the library (yet) but can order and assign your parameters any way you want.
Use the "browse" button to find channels you can't see, it will switch your view right to it.

Artnet is a fixed IP address which is unique to each console and randomly calculated. There is no user action required to turn it on or off, it's always there.
We do not like the hexadecimal nature of artnet and simply think in decimal universes like everybody else on a show would.
Artnet starts internally at 0-0, which is our Universe 1. This has worked well for years with all sorts of Artnet devices. I don't see a Universe 0 really being a useful thing. You are correct that 0-7 is Universe 8.

If you have any feedback on the library feel free to send me a mail at mh @ martinpro . com

matthias hinrichs

development product manager-controllers
Martin Professional A/S

Re: Martin Maxxyz and Artnet

Postby mediaop » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm

The way the maxxyz handles artnet is far better and makes far more sense. I don´t know anyone when planning addressing for rigs calling it Universe 0 etc etc.
mediaop

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components