3d objects- wrap/unwrap

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

3d objects- wrap/unwrap

Postby redrhino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:59 pm

]Hi,
I am getting myself in a tailspin here.
I need to have a 3d mapped image of a whiskey bottle in PB.
I downloaded files from turbosquid of a bottle that I bought and managed to export a mesh for the bottle without a problem which works well in PB.
However, the picture images/textures? for the brand labels,bottle top etc came as 5 seperate png files and I am having troubled making a single mapped image.
I have GMAX, Blender and a trial of Autodesk 3ds max to work with.
Anyone have any pointers they might able to give me please?

I'm sure in a few days things may be a bit clearer but in the mean time any tips would be gratefully received!!
Regards,
Ian
redrhino

Re: 3d objects- wrap/unwrap

Postby Julia Foest » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Ian,

I think in gmax you do not have the option "Render To Texture", so here is a little description how to get out a texture in 3ds:

1. Set up your object with UVW Mapping.
2. all single objects (with different materials) in your scene have to be combined to ONE object
3. Now use the option Render to texture (to get the right texture out of 3ds):
    a. Object should have enough light round it
    b. RenderToTexture Output option: “complete map”
    c. –> Render.
4. When doing RenderToTexture, a new modifier will be added into the modifier list: „Automatic flatten UVs”. In its settings below, click on “Save” and save it. After saving, delete this modifier.
5. Add a new modifier to the modifier list: “Unwrap UVW”. In its settings below, click on “Load” and load the file, you saved in the step before.
6. Open the Material Editor, load the image you created with RenderToTexture, assign this image to your object. Now you will see if the texture fits correctly to the object.
7. If yes, export your object now as .x-file, using the PB Exporter (downloadable here: http://www.coolux.de/kb/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=498) or the Pandasoft Exporter for your 3ds Version (you can download it here: http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx ).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Re: 3d objects- wrap/unwrap

Postby redrhino » Wed May 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Julia,

Many thanks, I will work my way through your instructions and see how I get on.
Your advise is much appreciated!

Ian
redrhino

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components