Problem with Spaning Video on Dual Output NVIDIA Card

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

Problem with Spaning Video on Dual Output NVIDIA Card

Postby jlittler » Fri May 27, 2011 2:14 am

Hi There:

I''ve encountered a display problem that has me completely stumped and stressed!

One of our Pandora Systems is recognizing two 1080p projectors connected to (via HDMI) it but the player engine is not treating them as one continuous display (basically the player duplicating a test video I load with the same video being displayed on each projector). The display settings have been set to SPAN in windows via NView and I can drag content from one projector to another and that works fine. Yikes!

I've poured over the Nvidia settings (I'm using GX260 cards) and they look identical to the system that works fine (with the same video hardware interestingly enough). I suspect it is a registry setting or something but I am out of things to try. Any help would be appreciated.
:(
Jeremy
jlittler

Re: Problem with Spaning Video on Dual Output NVIDIA Card

Postby Julia Foest » Fri May 27, 2011 11:28 am

Hi Jeremy,

are you sure that it is a Player software and not a server software?
And can you send the logfiles, please? To support@coolux.de.

We generally made the experience with some projectors that having them connected via HDMI/DVI it is impossible to set the NVidia Control panel settings to "Horizontal Span".
This is an EDID thing. Using EDID manager could solve the problem.

Greetings,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby jlittler » Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Julia:

I'm not sure if it is the player or the server at this point as nothing I have tried seems to allow the cross-projector spanning that works
perfectly fine on the other system. As far as I can tell Pandora is treating each display as completely independent outputs.
On the working machine a single video from the timeline is spread across the two projectors connected to the player. Is that not
how the system is supposed to operate?

Can you explain about the EDID manager. Is that software. Where would I get this? How is that configured. I'm confused about this
. Isn't the default mode that the player combines two or more projectors into one composite "screen?

Can you tell me how to get the log files. I'm not sure where they would be.

Is there something in the server engine that is configurable to force the server to be treated as one continuous output. As it stands
any video I add to the timeline is being output on each projector. This is not the way the other Pandora system is set. I'm almost
at the point where I am going to need to image the working system and transfer that image to the Pandora system that is not
behaving; I'd really like to avoid that!
jlittler

Postby Julia Foest » Fri May 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure if it is the player or the server at this point as nothing I have tried seems to allow the cross-projector spanning that works
perfectly fine on the other system. As far as I can tell Pandora is treating each display as completely independent outputs.
On the working machine a single video from the timeline is spread across the two projectors connected to the player. Is that not
how the system is supposed to operate?

--> I'm asking because of the difference between server and player that would explain the doubled output.
The player has one camera that defines the (basically) one output. If you have two displays attached that are set to horizontal span, PB Player only sees one display and stretches the one camera output across both displays.
The server has TWO cameras that define two possible outputs. When nothing is changed at the camera layers, both camera look at exactly the same point in your composition and their output then is exactly the same. Having two displays attached (even when beeing in horizontal span mode), PB server knows about these displays and camera output 1 will be shown on one monitor, camera output 2 will be shown on the other monitor. It just looks the same because they showing the same.

Can you explain about the EDID manager. Is that software. Where would I get this? How is that configured. I'm confused about this
. Isn't the default mode that the player combines two or more projectors into one composite "screen?

--> An EDID manager is a small device that you connect between the graphicscard and the display. The computer only sees the EDID settings (possible display resolutions) that are stored inside the EDID manager. This way you may force the graphicscard to take one of the resolutions on the EDID manager, and it won't see any more the EDID information the display is sending. For the case I described in the last post this was useful as there where more information sent via the displays / projectors HDMI port. And this caused that we couldn't set up horiozontal span mode at all.

Can you tell me how to get the log files. I'm not sure where they would be.

--> You will find the log files here:
Windows Start Button - program files - coolux - "your PB version" - logs. There are some txt.files inside the appearing folder, these we need (named eg. engine.log)

Is there something in the server engine that is configurable to force the server to be treated as one continuous output. As it stands
any video I add to the timeline is being output on each projector. This is not the way the other Pandora system is set. I'm almost
at the point where I am going to need to image the working system and transfer that image to the Pandora system that is not
behaving; I'd really like to avoid that!

If this system is a server and the other one a player, you have to set up the cameras different. But before this is explained, please check it.

Best regards,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby Julia Foest » Fri May 27, 2011 3:54 pm

SOLVED
Julia Foest

Postby JustynR » Fri May 27, 2011 4:38 pm

yay!

What was it?

Server?.... can't just leave us hanging like this... I use horizontal span all the time, and I'd just like to know what to do if this same thing happens to me...

Thanks

Justyn
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Postby Julia Foest » Mon May 30, 2011 8:08 am

Hey Justyn,

it just was somehow a problem with a project file.

Greetings,
Julia
Julia Foest

Postby Jason Riordan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:51 pm

The server that they are mentioning about is an Educational dongle which is different then the typical player/server hardware layouts.

I have been working with Jeremy since they became a Coolux Educational location.
Jason Riordan
pixel magic design Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jason Riordan

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components