MOTU mk3 Hybrid

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

MOTU mk3 Hybrid

Postby zackheimbegner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi everyone.
I am currently trying to utilize a MOTU mk3 Hybrid box to process additional channels of audio.
I have installed the MOTU drivers, and I am able to hear the audio out of the box (assuming the file is rendered out at a 48000 sample rate); however, I cannot figure out how to properly assign the different channels in the Pandora's Box Inspector.
I tried a straight across channel assignment (output 1 to Channel 1, output 2 to Channel 2, etc.), but that does not work.
Just to give you an example of the conundrum I am tackling;
When I assign my audio 1 to Channel 1 in PB, the audio does not come though, but does come through on channel 2 in PB.
When I set Track 2 to Channel 3, the audio will come through both output 2 and output 3.
I’ve adjusted the channel assignment to accommodate the output I have plugged in, and whenever I fix one output’s channel assignment, another output has issues with receiving another track’s audio.

I've rendered out 8 Mono tracks in order to isolate the audio channels, but I think the box is interpreting my Mono files as Stereo (which I believe is one of the reasons my addressing is all over the map).

Does anyone know how I can properly address my channels to send only Mono signals to my MOTU outputs?
Zack H.
Digital Media Technician
zackheimbegner

Re: MOTU mk3 Hybrid

Postby Martina Protze » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi Zack,

Have you checked in the Asio Tab, that you have routed your audio device correctly? When clicking "Channel Details" you see the information how it is routed currently.
Have you checked in the Inspector if the Audio track layers are routed correctly to the according output?

If yes, I think the one thing you are missing is the PAN Fader.

Track 1 on Channel 1 means:
CH 1 gets the left part of the signal
Ch 2 gets the right part of the signal

If the file is mono it will be assigned to both
if the file is stereo it will be assigned Left to 1 and Right to 2

So in order to output 12 or 16 mono Ch you just need to PAN all Tracks to the left, because as default ch are assigned from 1,2,3,4,5,6,.....,x

So a mono file assigned to a Track with PAN Left will only output to the Channel that is assigned in the inspector.
The same file PAN right will output only to the "Channel + 1" of the assigned no. in the inspector

Please keep us updated, if you still encounter the problem. Thanks!
Martina Protze
Technical Support, Pandoras Box and Widget Designer
Martina Protze

Postby zackheimbegner » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 pm

The Pan fixed the issues perfectly!
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me.
Zack H.
Digital Media Technician
zackheimbegner

Postby Martina Protze » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:39 am

Hi,
glad that I could help. I have added this issue - to improve the understanding of mono / stereo behavior within the GUI - as a featurewish.
Martina Protze
Technical Support, Pandoras Box and Widget Designer
Martina Protze

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components