Upgrading/Updating 3rd Party Hardware

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

Upgrading/Updating 3rd Party Hardware

Postby JustynR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:37 am

I am just wondering if it would be worth upgrading my 3rd party Players - the guts of them anyways.

The easiest upgrade I can think of right now would be to change the Graphics card. I currently have a GTX 260 in each of my machines (x15)
Does anyone know if I'd really see an improvement if I upgraded to something like a 570 or 550?

Does PB really use the Grafix Card RAM? - can I cheap out and get a 1gb over a 2.5gb or will I see a difference there too?

I use PB Player PRO.
Half the time I use 2 dongles to get 2 outputs & 8 layers. - Will it help me in this situation?

Is there anything else I can / should look at other than the Grafix Card?

Thank you very much in advance for any and all input! :-)

J
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Re: Upgrading/Updating 3rd Party Hardware

Postby Christopher Fluegel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Justyn,

for sure PB is using the graphics card RAM. PB is rendering everything in 3D space although you have a Player. So most of the power of your PB system is depending on the graphics card.
All the effects are shaders and were processed by the GPU. If you use images (JPGs, PNGs) they will use the graphics card memory. If you use videos with "use video memory buffers" option activated in the inspector they will be using the graphics cards RAM.

For a powerful system we recommend using nVidia geForce GTX570 or better GTX580 with 2GB of video RAM which we also use within our server hardware and have tested, good working, stable drivers available at our website.

Other recomendations are standards for building a nice custom PC as fast HDDs within a RAID system, powerful CPU and maybe not the cheapest consumer RAM and mainboard to run a clean, well configured operating system.

Upgrading from GTX260 to GTX570 definitly brings you a performance boost!
Christopher Fluegel
Technical Support, coolux GmbH
Christopher Fluegel

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components