Blackmagic DeckLink Quad Output?

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

Blackmagic DeckLink Quad Output?

Postby novski » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Can i somehow use one DeckLink Quad Output with Pandoras Box Player LT?

Setup:
i5 Win7,32Bit
Quadro FX 4500 (2 DVI Outputs) Graficcard, with 2 DVI Displays
Blackmagic DeckLink Quadro

What i actually want to see is the same i see on my Fullscreen Display n°2 but over SDI Out...

Thanks
novski
novski

Re: Blackmagic DeckLink Quad Output?

Postby JustynR » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 pm

The Decklink Quad is a capture card. I don't think that you'll be able to route your outputs through that. (if that's the card you're referring to)

I have the Decklink Duo cards in my machines (25 of them) and there are only 2 ways I can get something out of it:
1 - the best quality is when I am using the output as a loop through when I am capturing with the card(which is automatically set up)
2 - When I am using a piece of software like After FX that will render to that card.

The problems with number 2 is that it uses the RAM in the computer to store those uncompressed renders, so it can't play long files;
The quality isn't the greatest for some reason (could be my settings)
It has a major delay when playing like this - 2 - 3 seconds.

Unless there is another piece of software that will let you route something from the GPU to your capture card, I don't see a way - the capture card doesn't have the capacity to be a standalone output card. For example, you could not install one of these cards and remove your Video Card and just have a monitor plugged into the Quad.

One very handy tool that Blackmagic does have is the "DVI Extender". This is an inexpensive device that is powered off of the USB bus and plugs into a DVI output. It will convert DVI (in any SDI broadcasting standard) to SD or HD-SDI and it will run for 100m (300') with no problem.
The only issue I've had with it is that I've had some difficulty plugging in 2 and getting 2 separate outputs from it - though I've never tried on Windows 7. I will try this weekend to see if it works.

Cheers,
Justyn Roy
Toronto Ontario Canada
JustynR

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components