Quicktime Alternative

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

Quicktime Alternative

Postby fwieland » Tue May 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Can someone explain to me the advantages of using Quicktime Alternative as opposed to the official Quicktime Player ?
Do I need to uninstall Quicktime to use the alternative player or do they coexist on the machine?
fwieland

Re: Quicktime Alternative

Postby Daniel Kaminski » Thu May 28, 2009 1:53 am

Quicktime Alternative installes a Direct Show Filter which our Software can use to play back Quicktime files. Normal Quicktime does not do that.
As far as I remember there was no conflict having normal Quicktime and Quicktime Alternative running on the same PC.
Only keep in mind that Quicktime Alternative does not work together with Pandoras Box in the current Version you can find on the web. Please use the one in the download section in our Forum.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=353
--
Daniel Kaminski
Pandoras Box Expert
Daniel Kaminski

Postby fwieland » Thu May 28, 2009 5:50 am

Thank's for your quick reply.
What is Direct Show Filter ?
I assume it is preinstalled on Pandora Server Systems ?
This is not needed on the Computer running the manager software, just on Display Computers (Servers, Players) ?
fwieland

Postby ricky » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

Hi Fwieland,
DirectShow (sometimes abbreviated as DS or DShow), codename Quartz, is a multimedia framework and API produced by Microsoft for software developers to perform various operations with media files or streams.
In your case you have to install QuickTime Alternative to run .mov files using windows media player (default windows video engine ) since Pandoras Box software is based on this engine.
The normal Quicktime (apple's engine) is another player with his own engine and codecs and doesn't allow Windows Media Player to run .mov files.
At the end you have to install QuickTime Alternative (in our case version 1.6.2) in each servers and manager because if you don't have it on Manager PC probably you will find .mov files INCONSISTENT in the project and you won't see preview clips in the manager!!
I hope this helps..
--ricky--

Tech Sales, Tech Support & Betatesting Coolux
Molpass srl
http://www.molpass.com
ricky

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components