Final Cut Export Codec

and all the interaction

Moderator: Moderator Group

Final Cut Export Codec

Postby Patrick Verhey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 am

Hi,

since many people work with final cut to produce content for pandoras box I would like to share my experiences in exporting.

After testing around a while I figured out that the best result is to export the clips as quicktime movie using the Photo jpeg A codec. This codec is a standard apple codec, so every Final Cut express and Pro Version is able to export using that codec.

The best is to leave all the settings to the original, so that you change as less as possible. So stay in the same framerate and resolution as your original file. If not needed, uncheck the Audio.
After that load this clip in either the mainconcept encoder or the new Pandora Box encoder and reencode it into mpeg elementary video. This will generate a mpv file wich will be played back by Pandoras Box very smooth and nice.

One more advise for peole recording with their own camera. Make sure to do a proper white balance. This will make colour correction much easier. And also check the framerate you work with. If you want to have smooth movements you should use 50 fps. Using less than that might cause a jumpy picture. And also record in progressive mode. This way you do not need to interlace the clip afterwards.

best regards

Patrick

Re: Final Cut Export Codec

Postby Jan Huewel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am

Dear All

For all users of Final Cut and Pro res codec. I have made successful conversions with the built in Encoder in Pandoras Box version 4.5 and 4.6.

Since Final Cut uses the codec internally you can skip the conversion process to an intermediate format and save time.

To get this working make sure that you have the latest QT version on Winows that supports the playback of PRO Res.

Best regards

Jan Huewel
Jan Huewel

Re: Final Cut Export Codec

Postby florian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi,

I have recently been working alot with the Quicktime PNG. It's completely lossless (4:4:4) and has a much smaller footprint than Animation. I know I have been able to encode it using MainConcept standalone, has there been any testing to see how well it encodes with the PB in-line encoder?
-flo

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cato the Elder, Plutarch's Life of Cato
florian

Return to 3rd Party Hardware & Software Components